4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

flowmaster K&N

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 05:11 PM
yellow4.6
2nd Gear Member

Default flowmaster K&N

<P class=Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Hello everyone This is my first post to the forum. I just purchased a new 03 GT. I have installed a set of Flowmaster mufflers and I love them. I did notice a small gain in power (I guess 5 or so more hp / Torque). I notice the power as low as 1000 RPM and at high RPM. Midrange I see no difference. But I really love the sound. Now I am interested in getting a K&amp;N air filter. <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"></SPAN>I am hoping for a few extra horses over stock, especially with the flowmasters. My question: is it worth my money to buy K&amp;N’s cold air induction system as opposed to just their filter that fits in the stock intake? Advice is greatly appreciated.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>Thanks.</SPAN><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o></P>
Old 12-04-2003, 05:43 PM
97FordGT
1st Gear Member

Default flowmaster K&N

i dont think a filter or the air induction soes much for our 4.6L engines and as for hp or tq i dont really think u got much out of flowmaster. on the flipside i just installed BBK 0/r h pipe and American thunder catback onto my 97 GT and i love it. how much did u pay for the flows. u can get 2.5 american thunder for $227 shipped to your door and it is a direct bolt on
Old 12-04-2003, 06:29 PM
Fat Nick
I ♥ Acer

Default flowmaster K&N

Originally Posted by yellow4.6
<P class=Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8.5pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Hello everyone This is my first post to the forum. I just purchased a new 03 GT. I have installed a set of Flowmaster mufflers and I love them. I did notice a small gain in power (I guess 5 or so more hp / Torque). I notice the power as low as 1000 RPM and at high RPM. Midrange I see no difference. But I really love the sound. Now I am interested in getting a K&amp;N air filter. <SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"></SPAN>I am hoping for a few extra horses over stock, especially with the flowmasters. My question: is it worth my money to buy K&amp;N’s cold air induction system as opposed to just their filter that fits in the stock intake? Advice is greatly appreciated.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>Thanks.</SPAN><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o></P>

</P>

</P>

My friend has the same setup in his 03 GT conv. 2 40 series FM Muffs, and K&amp;N CAI. I really think the muffs don't do anything but make it sound better. The CAI is noticeble, but my stock 03 GT coupe beat his conv. by a car length. Both car are automatic. Get the CAI but get a real catback.</P>
Old 12-04-2003, 09:00 PM
redneck101
3rd Gear Member

Default flowmaster K&N

I don't know exactly how much hp flowmaster adds, but you get some out of them. One thing is for sure, you get a respectable smooth rumble out of them that you can't get from any other muffler.</P>
Old 12-04-2003, 09:03 PM
2kpony
I ♥ Acer

Default flowmaster K&N

Originally Posted by Fat Nick
Originally Posted by yellow4.6

</P>

</P>

My friend has the same setup in his 03 GT conv. 2 40 series FM Muffs, and K&amp;N CAI. I really think the muffs don't do anything but make it sound better. The CAI is noticeble, but my stock 03 GT coupe beat his conv. by a car length. Both car are automatic. Get the CAI but get a real catback.</P>

</P>

I have a '00 GT Vert with all the mods below. And i agree with the above post, there is no damned Hp or torque gain with Flowmasters, it is all in your head.</P>

Get a BBK CAI, the Flows-2 chambers?.are great, ditch the damn factory H-pipe, it has four restricting damned Cats and get an Off-road x-pipe with MIL eliminators, finally get a set of new gears 3.73 or 4.10 ....then we can talk. And please dont tell me that you got an automatic...take care.</P>
Old 12-05-2003, 10:30 PM
1FastAzzGT

Default flowmaster K&N

if you buy just the filter be sure to take the silencer out of your stock air can but if u buy a cold air i would go with BBK
Old 12-05-2003, 10:39 PM
yellow4.6
2nd Gear Member

Default flowmaster K&N

what does the silencer look like?
Old 12-06-2003, 12:14 AM
Cdprowl
1st Gear Member

Default flowmaster K&N

No offense to the Flowmaster fans but you should of put either the Steeda exhaust or the Borla exhaust prefferably Borla. (Cat Back or Off Road) X or H Xis little more expensive. And I would deffinantly get the Cold air intake either being K&amp;N or any prefferably brand I use K &amp; N cus thats all I have ever used. You get the filter that you would just install regular the lifetime filter. Its only 150 more bucks and it is better. You can re oil it up too when it comes time. I like it compared to the regular filter. But every little HP gain no matter it being just from changing your fluids and get 1-7 hp extra or what it all counts. But direct cold air intake does help.</P>

Oh by the way don't completely remove the cats. Drill them and drill them right, if you get pulled over or inspected it is illegal to remove it. Just drill them, that way if they do look under they see them there but dont know they are drilled.</P><edited><editID>Cdprowl</editID><editDate>37960.9304513889</editDate></edited>
Old 12-06-2003, 10:30 PM
2kpony
I ♥ Acer

Default flowmaster K&N

Originally Posted by 1FastAzzGT
if you buy just the filter be sure to take the silencer out of your stock air can but if u buy a cold air i would go with BBK
</P>

</P>

agree.....dont get the ugly looking k&amp;n cai kit</P>
Old 12-06-2003, 10:44 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default flowmaster K&N

they do the ole mirror test here

a stock motorcraft filter will out flow a k/n for the first 500-1000 miles
syth. oil is good for about 1% increase in hp 1.5- 2% if all fluids are changed
mufflers alone might get 1-3hp depense on cond. of the old one it more of the wow factor...

Quick Reply: flowmaster K&N