4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

questions about superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:41 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

Default questions about superchargers

I was thinking about adding a supercharger to my mustang, and I have a few questions. Would it be worth it with my car already having 65k miles on it? Also is there anything I would NEED to upgrade to have it worth it? I have the bolt ons listed below, but should I get long tube headers and a new midpipe first?

Is vortech the best option for our cars? Is Kenne Bell? I don't want to spend a ton of money on the 'best' blower but I want a nice boost. I still want to be able to hook up on the street, and I have a problem with that sometimes now.

What do you all think about this option? Thanks for the input!

PS: I am leaning towards a 'twin screw' style supercharger but I am not sure

Last edited by sandcracker21; 03-24-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Eagle2000GT
4th Gear Member

Yes, it is worth it. I put my ProCharger on at 80,000 miles and have driven the car almost 60,000 miles since.

If you buy the complete kit you do not need anything else to run up to 400 rwhp (450 hp crank).

You do not want a roots blower. Kenne Bell superchargers are twin-screws. Twin-screws generate a little more boost and torqe at lower rpms than centrifical superchargers like Vortech or ProCharger.

I personally think ProChargers are best for our cars (but I'm biased. Vortechs are good.)
MPH has a complete Vortech blower kit (no intercooler) for $3,900.

With those 4.10 gears you will have traction problems. You will have more traction problems with a twin-screw (Kenne Bell) than a centrifical supercharger (ProCharger or Vortech).
Old 03-24-2010, 03:42 PM
janine
3rd Gear Member

Run a compression check first to ensure that all cylinders are up to par. You will have problems if you have a weak cylinder. With a stock bottom end, you can safely run a 3.60 pulley that will make 8 psi. Every psi will make about 12.7 RWHP. Boost on centrifical chargers kicks in around 3000 rpm. It will continue to make power until red line. Most of the power will come in between 4000 and 5000 rpm. Personally, I like Vortech Kits. I never had any issues with Vortech.

To make your motor run right, you will need larger injectors, a better fuel pump and an MAF calibrated to your injector size. I don't believe these parts are included in many supercharger kits. Two other things: a dyno tune and a boost gauge. I have a boost gauge, but to be honest, with my setup, at WOT, I can't look at it. Things are moving just too fast for that. So to me, at this point in the game, gauges, with exception of a good shift light, are worthless.

Long tube headers are hard to install but will give 33 rwhp on Dyno with a Prochamber. Most guys I know have a K Member which allow more clearance for header installation. Don't go near short tubes. They are basically worthless at 2.7 rwhp on Dyno. Too expensive for that.

I know this sounds like a lot but honestly, I am keeping it real with you. Good luck in your decision.

Last edited by janine; 03-24-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:52 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

how/where can i get a compression check done?

also, I was confused about the type of supercharger...I think a blower like Kenne Bell would be best since I would have boost all the time, not just when I am gunning it (higher rpms)

the Kenne Bell kit comes with the injectors and fuel pump I believe btw
Old 03-24-2010, 04:01 PM
janine
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sandcracker21
how/where can i get a compression check done?

also, I was confused about the type of supercharger...I think a blower like Kenne Bell would be best since I would have boost all the time, not just when I am gunning it (higher rpms)

the Kenne Bell kit comes with the injectors and fuel pump I believe btw
Go to a garage and ask for a compression check on all cylinders. Or take it to the dealership.

I am not really up on Kenne Bell. I just know that the boost kicks in early. To me that is a disadvantage. I don't believe a KB will give that huge surge of power during mid power band that a Vortech or Procharger would. I rather get the big surge at the middle to the end. Highway running vs the redlight dig....

I guess you will need better axles and rear end gears 3.73's and a better posi to handle all the extra torque.... 31 spline or so. Upper and lower ctl arms.... Street drag radials as well.

Last edited by janine; 03-24-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:16 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by janine

I guess you will need better axles and rear end gears 3.73's and a better posi to handle all the extra torque.... 31 spline or so. Upper and lower ctl arms.... Street drag radials as well.
i already have 4.10s on my gt...but i dont want to sink in extra thousands in my car for a better axle or a new posi....
Old 03-24-2010, 04:53 PM
janine
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sandcracker21
i already have 4.10s on my gt...but i dont want to sink in extra thousands in my car for a better axle or a new posi....
Maybe you'll be okay with 4.10's and a stock rear end with a KB setup for a little while. But the bottom line is this: If you want to take full advantage of the low end torque a KB puts out, you'll need traction. You'll have to get into rear end and some suspension mods. Otherwise, you'll never experience the full benefit of the KB. You will be defeating the true purpose.

Last edited by janine; 03-24-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:04 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

this is why i am asking the questions... would a centrifugal blower be better with the set up i have? i would think not...but i dont know much about FI cars

but i promise you 9 out of 10 'user blown' GTs here did not redue their rear axle

this vehicle is my daily driver and will not be used for any professional racing btw
Old 03-24-2010, 09:57 PM
vanquish
4th Gear Member

yes a centri would be the best with your setup (4.10's) in my opinion.

I think a Kenne Bell would be fine if you invested in a lot of suspension and good tires considering you have 4.10s.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:03 AM
janine
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by vanquish
yes a centri would be the best with your setup (4.10's) in my opinion.

I think a Kenne Bell would be fine if you invested in a lot of suspension and good tires considering you have 4.10s.
+1.

Make your decision.

Last edited by janine; 03-25-2010 at 06:09 AM.

Quick Reply: questions about superchargers