4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Ragtop Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 10:27 PM
OlGeezer

Default Ragtop Repair?

My rear window has separated from the fabric.

Is there a method to reattach it? The quote I got for replacing it is $700.

Thank you,
Old 06-03-2011, 11:21 PM
BLKSTANGER
2nd Gear Member

I can get my whole top replaced for $620. Maybe you misunderstood the guy?
Old 06-04-2011, 07:45 AM
OlGeezer

Originally Posted by BLKSTANGER
I can get my whole top replaced for $620. Maybe you misunderstood the guy?
I'm pretty sure I didn't. He said it would be $1,100 if I had to replace the top. This doesn't include the liner.

That price included labor.

Update: According to MuscleCar.com, the price for rear window is less than $200. However, the degree of difficulty to install it is "hard". I asked the guys at my local service station and they didn't have a clue on how to change it.

Does anyone have a recommendation of someone to go to in Orange County, CA?

Thank you,

Last edited by OlGeezer; 06-04-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:09 AM
BLKSTANGER
2nd Gear Member

I just double checked the guys ad down here in San Diego. $620 for a new top and another $325 for a new glass back window installed. I can give you his contact info if you like.
Old 06-05-2011, 03:12 AM
BLKSTANGER
2nd Gear Member

I sent you a PM
Old 06-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

This guy here in my town wants $900 for a new top. It sounds to me like one of two things is happening here: Either these people are trying to rip me and OlGeezer off, or the guy who does it for $625 is using cheap parts or lower grade materials like a cloth top and a plastic rear window.

Now I know that it varies based mostly on the type of material you get and the type of glass. For me to do a direct replacement of what I have now it would be a vinyl top with a rear window that has the defrosting heating element. (and a liner)

Is that what you're getting for $625. If so, then that's an outstanding deal and probably worth the drive to San Diego (well for OlGeezer...not for me). I'll have to call some local shops in here in my town and in West Texas and see if I can get them to match that kinda price.

Last edited by Tommy079; 06-05-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:01 PM
sinister99GT
2nd Gear Member

i own a auto upholstery shop in florida, you cant repair the window it needs to be replaced.it shouldnt cost more then 450.00 for a heated glass window, i do a top and glass for 925.00. you can look online at the auto top shop . com and see what the new glass would cost they are 189.00 and thats what i pay. any good shop should be able to install that glass in 3 hours at the most. i can do them in a hour and a half. but most likely therer will be other issues with the top unless it has been replaced in the last few years. if you have any questions PM me .
Old 06-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Hey what's up Sinister. It's Lance right? Sorry I never called you at your shop. It's just cuz I don't have the money to address my issue right now so I didn't want to waste your time asking you questions I can't really do anything about right now.

My top will eventually be a big problem for me. You can visibly see how the vinyl is shrinking, and it's putting alot of pressure on the staples that hold in the rear window's vinyl. I'm sorta friendly with an old guy here in town that owns an upholstery shop and he restapled my back window in for free. It's a good temporary fix, but it won't last. One of the staples even came loose (I'm guessing cuz of the shrinking) and it poked through the top of my actual top. I pulled the staple out and put some black adhesive silicone on the small tear. It seems to have been a good fix.

Anyway I know I'm gonna have to dish out cash eventually for a new top and $625 is an enticing number, but it sounds fishy to me....like a plastic window for sure or something. My guy said he could do the swap for $900. And I'm assuming he meant same same...as what I have now. (I guess I should make sure of that). According to your price that sounds about right. I just don't have that kinda cash right now. I may need to start a New Top Savings account.

On my broken cylinder...it still isn't fixed. I think they cost around $200 and I don't have that cash yet either. I mean I do, but there's other stuff I'm doing first. I've perfected raising and lowering it manually for now.

Ahh money...if I had you my car would be super charged and have a shiney new top.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:06 PM
BLKSTANGER
2nd Gear Member

The previous owner of my car had a new top and heated glass and liner installed in my car before I bought it. The guy down here has been doing it for over 30 years and knows his ****. I have called him a few times for just care questions and he took the time to talk to me. He seems to be a good guy. Everyone with a convertible here in town uses him.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

If he'll do vinyl that's stock-like quality and heated glass it sounds like a sweet deal. At the very least it's encouraged me to shop around. What is the name of the shop and number? If he'll email me or fax me a quote I can probably use that for leverage to get a good deal somewhere close to me.

Quick Reply: Ragtop Repair?