4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cooling fan Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 02:02 AM
Rad Red 03

Default Cooling fan Problem

Hate to keep adding new threads but heres another problem I really need help with. Cooling fan was'nt working and when I checked the 50amp fuse it was blown. I replaced fuse but fan ran for 2 minutes and stopped. It should have run longer cause the motor was close to overheating. The fuse was still good, so I removed it and checked the fan by hand and it seems to take a lot of force to to get the fan to rotate manually. Should the fan move with very little resistance? Does it sound like the fan bearings are fried and it needs replacement? I have absolutely no knowledge or skills with electical problems, whats an easy way to test the fan before I order a new one? Thanks!
Old 07-05-2011, 05:28 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

When it stopped did you smell anything burning, usually when the fans lock up theyll smoke pretty good.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:02 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

It sounds like a bad fan. The motor was going out and pulling too many amps and thats what blew the fuse originally.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:58 AM
Flyercan

Hi Guys,
I am having a similar prob. My fan only runs when I switch the heater to A/C. On vent or floor the rad fan will never kick in. Never. If I disconnect the sensor on the cross over behind and to the right of the alternator the fan will start at high speed. I changed that sensor twice so its not the prob. I changed the ccrm as well, but since the fan runs while the A/C is on it couldn't have been that anyway. BTW, the fan only runs at low speed during the time the A/C is on. Where is this 50amp fuse I can check and is there anything else I can look at?
Old 09-09-2012, 02:16 AM
Flyercan

I forgot to mention... It does and did overheat and boil over before I found out the fan was the prob. I have ways of getting around now, but the prob persists. I just want my fan back. Can I switch to a clutch type instead of electric?

Adding that the rad is new and I changed thermostat twice before finding out it was the fan. Also a new water pump and belt and fluid. Tried a new fan motor and it didn't change the outcome so I returned it.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:09 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Check the harness connection on the fan and teh harness, corossion or terminal issues on the low speed wire may be the problem.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Flyercan

Harness meaning the connections from the fan to the ccrm? Fan runs at high speed when I disconnect the sensor on the driver side and runs at low speed when i turn on the A/C, but does neither when the heater is not on or just on vent/floor without the A/C pump turned on. Saying this I will assume the harness is fine.
So how about that 50amp fuse, where it at? Or are there any other ideas or fan controllers on this car?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:54 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

The 2 speed fans had a problem with part of the wiring harness melting and so the fan would quit running hi speed. Check where the fan plugs into the wiring harness...

Im pretty sure this problem is posted a couple times and there are even some pics. The first 97 v6 I had experienced this. The 97GT has not fortunately
Old 09-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Flyercan

When I disconnected the fan motor to plug in the new one I tried, I didn't notice any problem with the connector. It was all intact and solid.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:00 PM
Flyercan

The fan doesn't have a problem running at either speed. It just wont do it normally.

Quick Reply: Cooling fan Problem