4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How to tell what transmission I have Tremec or T-56

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Site_Administrator
Banned

Default How to tell what transmission I have Tremec or T-56

2000 GT 5 speed, convertible, Black on black on black. Black cobra rims tenth anniversary. I was given this very pretty mustang and I have no clue what mods or work has been done to it. I am trying to play detective here.The previous owner says it was given to him also by a buddy that owned him money. It's been passed down like three times and I don't know why. All I know is that the guy before me had it parked for a while and something happened to the original owner.

It was a trade.

Only a short history was given to me.

He heard that the transmission was changed to a "tremec"
He heard that the differential was done to a "4.10" (No clue to this jargon)
He heard the motor was replaced or reworked about 30,000 miles ago.
He heard that the clutch is about 20,000 miles used.

Here's what I can see:

It looks like a Windsor motor because I read somewhere that the driver side has 13 valve cover 10mm bolts(this one does).

It looks like the exhaust is custom because I don't think factory puts in headers. Someone would have had to lift that motor to get all that tubing up in there on the sides.

I can't tell what kind of transmission that is by just looking at it. The vehicle is on four jackstands and I am trying to identify what transmission is actually up in there.

Under the hood there is a chrome long air intake pipe that goes to the outside of engine compartment.

There is a sticker that reads "superchips.com"
There is a structural cage like support across the top of the engine in the form of a "A"

How do you know if the rear was really done and what would the noticeable difference be?

The engine runs solid! has power and smooth high rpm revs with no tapping or knocks. Oil is clean.
Transmission shifts great, but it is noisy on first and second gear. It whines in those two gears only. Like a synchronizer or super charge noise.

Cluth pedal vibrates inside the cabin at highway speeds and it's really annoying. I took a peek and it looks modified because there is like a metallic blue aluminum bracket that goes to the firewall and you can turn **** outside to tighten or lossen. I already loosened and it still vibrates at the quadrant and too loose. If I tighten it, The same result metal pulsating noise but the clutch is nice and tight and all the way up with no slack. I looked in the bell housing and it looks normal in there. I did notice that the clutch cable is NOT bolted down to the side of the driver side frame around the exhaust. I am sorry to throw too many questions at once but any input will help me determine what this beast has and how to tell if you got a good deal or a POS. Thank you
Old 08-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Site_Administrator
Banned

Oh, when you push the clutch pedal in it feels smooth and does not vibrate or pulsate in any gear. Also quiet in neutral while idling. It only pulsates or vibrates while engaged in any gear and pedal is let go of all the way. If I rest my footon it lghtly I feel the pulsating ut the noise goes away. If I lift up on the pedal from behind while driving, noise goes away. Is there suppose to be a rubber bushing or something or is this clutch assembly toast?
Old 08-07-2011, 04:34 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

First of all you don't have a t-56 as they are all 6 speeds, you should of had a tremac tr-3650 stock... and is probably still there. Are you sure the tranny is making the noise and not the differential? Inproperly installed ring and pinion (gears) will whine.

As far as the clutch goes. Sounds like it either needs a new throw out bearing or since it was recently replaced was not installed and or adjusted properly.

The cold air intake is shiny but a waste of money as your car had one stock lol.

The structual support is a strutt tower brace, not a bad idea, pretty good extra to have, just ties the cars suspension together a little better.

Superchips, is most likely a "performance chip." It might be doing a little for you, however these days most chips are outdated and people use handheld tuners but if its there it's most likely not hurting.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:23 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

The blue bracket is most likely a Steeda adjustment to do exactly what you found... adjust the tension of the clutch cable.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:49 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

May be a T45 if it was replaced?

4.10's would be gears put in the rear differential... would give the car a lil more take off at the expense of top speed. An easy well to tell is to put a mark on the driveshaft and a mark on the wheel and count how many times the driveshaft goes around to how many times the wheel goes around.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:30 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

I doubt it would be a t-45.... its not a tremac (he wast old it was) and its older....

T-45 = borg warner.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Demon 340
Administrator

Needless to say, that person wasnt a "site administrator" and for picking that name, he has gotten himself a free trip to banned camp.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:15 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Demon 340
Needless to say, that person wasnt a "site administrator" and for picking that name, he has gotten himself a free trip to banned camp.
I thought it was strange he picked that name. Was wondering if you guys where going to let it fly
Old 08-08-2011, 05:56 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
I doubt it would be a t-45.... its not a tremac (he wast old it was) and its older....

T-45 = borg warner.
Starting in 1998 tremec starting phasing out the borg warner cases, so the t45 def were in labeled tremec cases, 97 and older they were borg warner cases.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:41 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by BraMas
I thought it was strange he picked that name. Was wondering if you guys where going to let it fly
Let it fly yes, but fly outta here!

Also, nothing wrong for you guys to report to an outside Moderator (different section) or Administration when you see schit like this or spam etc... and none of your section Mod is logged in. A quick PM will help.
Members in my section have gotten good about it...

Quick Reply: How to tell what transmission I have Tremec or T-56