4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

300HP recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:23 AM
scott4.6
2nd Gear Member

i put a k&n cai on my 04 gt it was all stock,except for a flowmaster catback. it DID make a diffrence. i gained more power than the catback, and it made more power than a caned tune did. it made the biggest diffrence in mid 2nd and all the way through the gears. who ever tells you a cold air intake doesent add power is full of ****. i dont know about the other cold air intakes , but i know for a 100% fact it was my best bolt on by far!!
Old 09-08-2011, 10:37 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

No comment...
Old 09-08-2011, 02:24 PM
speedkills
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scott4.6
i put a k&n cai on my 04 gt it was all stock,except for a flowmaster catback. it DID make a diffrence. i gained more power than the catback, and it made more power than a caned tune did. it made the biggest diffrence in mid 2nd and all the way through the gears. who ever tells you a cold air intake doesent add power is full of ****. i dont know about the other cold air intakes , but i know for a 100% fact it was my best bolt on by far!!
Anything to back this up? Like a dyno sheet or et?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:33 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

^+1, I would like to see that too...
Old 09-08-2011, 02:56 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Maybe what scott4.6 is trying to describe is that it may feel faster due a slight change in sound and throttle response. A CAI was the very first mod i did when i bought my ride, and i though it made a difference because it made a cool sound and the throttle felt a little more sensitive. I later realized that a cool sound and more touchy throttle doesn't necessarily mean more hp lol.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:29 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

OP is back!! Lots of useful stuff here! (im lookin at you CliffyK, you are the man!) As far as the CAI, i have the Steeda because i liked it, not because i was ex[ecting power gains. The sound is nice, and it "feels" peppier but not significantly. The best mod i have done so far is the borla cat back. I love this exhaust!

Anyway, im thinking a tune should be my next mod. Or maybe UDP's. Then an x pipe. Not sure on the headers, i havent enough room where i live to be able to install them, and id hate to pay a shop 12 hours of labor to install shorties. (I have no interest in long tubes)

Im gratified my thread was able to give others some insights as well. Not at all upset about the "Threadjacking"!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:38 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by stevednmc
OP is back!! Lots of useful stuff here! (im lookin at you CliffyK, you are the man!) As far as the CAI, i have the Steeda because i liked it, not because i was ex[ecting power gains. The sound is nice, and it "feels" peppier but not significantly. The best mod i have done so far is the borla cat back. I love this exhaust!

Anyway, im thinking a tune should be my next mod. Or maybe UDP's. Then an x pipe. Not sure on the headers, i havent enough room where i live to be able to install them, and id hate to pay a shop 12 hours of labor to install shorties. (I have no interest in long tubes)

Im gratified my thread was able to give others some insights as well. Not at all upset about the "Threadjacking"!
Tune/buy a tuner and DIY.

Greg Banish's book Engine Management: Advanced Tuning is a great place to start...
Old 09-08-2011, 09:40 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

You paid 12 hrs of labor to install shorties?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:41 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Im thinking of buying a tuner. At the very least it will give me access to the computerfor codes and the like. I will certainly read your link though, as im very interested in this!

Noooo...i have read that people have. I still have stock manifolds.

Last edited by stevednmc; 09-08-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: @soldier
Old 09-09-2011, 03:01 AM
scott4.6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Maybe what scott4.6 is trying to describe is that it may feel faster due a slight change in sound and throttle response. A CAI was the very first mod i did when i bought my ride, and i though it made a difference because it made a cool sound and the throttle felt a little more sensitive. I later realized that a cool sound and more touchy throttle doesn't necessarily mean more hp lol.
no! it pulled alot harder. with just the catback , k&n cai, and the caned tune . it ran a 8.90 at 81 mph. i have the time slip somewhere. could not leave hard cause of to much tire spin.

Quick Reply: 300HP recommendations?