4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

MGW Shifter Install Gone Wrong? HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:07 PM
TOMMY01GT
2nd Gear Member

Sounds like a case of paranoia...It happens, you start noticing things you didnt before.

You can hear 500 engines run....But rebuild one, and start it up, and suddenly you can hear every tick, tap, puff and huff it makes..and you can only imagine that a lifter tick is a rod about to fly out the side.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:24 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpartanStang14
Well, I just took it for a test drive again. I don't think I was imagining the shakiness. I didn't really feel any vibration through the shift ****, but I really felt it coming through the seat. I don't really notice it when I'm accelerating, but there are a lot of vibrations when I'm coasting or going really slow. I also noticed that when I put the clutch in to come to a stop, the tach would stay at 1000 until I came to a complete stop, then drop to about 800. I'm not sure if that's just what's normal, I've never really paid attention to that. When I sat in my driveway with the clutch in and revved the engine, I could really feel a lot of vibration (through the seat).
Well, to answer part of your question, the car is supposed to stay around 1000-1100 RPM until full stop. This is because our cars use the PS pump for the brake boosting, and not vacuum. So that part is normal. As for the vibrations, I blame paranoia.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:21 PM
scooter3
4th Gear Member

As bad as all that sounds it is normal. Get the gasket it will make it a little better and I emphasize a "little". You have gone from a stock shifter that is spongy and made to be quiet to a PERFORMANCE short throw shifter in a late model "sports car" that really has no sound deadening. Wait until you put an after market exhaust on, if you don't already have one, it will be even loader. Drive it a few days and you will get used to it and then you will actually start to like it. Trust me....
Old 09-09-2011, 04:54 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

I agree with scooter. When I first got the car with the MGW I was like wow this is noisey, now I don't notice it unless I keep my hand on the shifter while it is in gear. Aslo, I had to laugh at the exhaust comment, because I went from a v6 toyota sedan to this mustang and I was overwhelmed by the Flowmasters with 2+1/2 inch piping and H-pipe. Now I love it.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:56 PM
SpartanStang14
1st Gear Member

Actually, my off-road Prochamber mid-pipes should be here tomorrow! Right now I have Magnaflow cat-backs, and coupled with the prochambers, hopefully I won't be able to hear anything else at all!
Old 09-09-2011, 06:06 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackvenom01
hey you need to calm down lol...having a short shifter is gonna make it louder and youll hear all those fun noises...but if your shift stops arent adjust correctly it can sound loud cause your holding pressure on the gear where the stop is supposed to keep you from that

mgw is a wonderful shifter i loved mine and witht his new car i wanna get rid of my tri-ax and go back to the smoothness of MGW!

agreed..
Old 09-09-2011, 09:27 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jamsunami
I had the same initial reaction when I installed my MGW shifter, noticed the noise and the shifting was more difficult. A few things:
-There's a gasket available called Cobra Bob's Shifter Gasket, I haven't installed mine but people claim it helps with the noise.
-My shifter broke in after a few hundred miles and got noticeably easier to use. Most people, myself included, love it after they get used to it and it's broken in.
-I noticed more vibrations from the shifter now that it's a short throw...again, it's normal.
This is EXACTLY how my experience went with my MGW!
Initially, I was alarmed, but it "broke in" after a short while and my satisfaction increased exponentially. I love my MGW and would recommend one to anyone interested in a STS.

I did buy Cobra Bob's shifter gasket, and I absolutely recommend this for everyone also.

OP,
Don't worry, you will love the MGW after a short period of time.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:58 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by SpartanStang14
Well, I just took it for a test drive again. I don't think I was imagining the shakiness. I didn't really feel any vibration through the shift ****, but I really felt it coming through the seat. I don't really notice it when I'm accelerating, but there are a lot of vibrations when I'm coasting or going really slow. I also noticed that when I put the clutch in to come to a stop, the tach would stay at 1000 until I came to a complete stop, then drop to about 800. I'm not sure if that's just what's normal, I've never really paid attention to that. When I sat in my driveway with the clutch in and revved the engine, I could really feel a lot of vibration (through the seat).
The revs staying at 1k until you stop is 100% normal, the PCM does this to ensure adequate power steering fluid pressure for the Hydroboost brakes until the vehicle is completely stopped. You must have not noticed it before because you were not freaking out.

Did you move the plastic cup bushing from the OEM shifter to the MGW?

This:

If not then all of what you describe would occur.

Also, whoever told you the MGW was quieter than the other STS's was full of "it" as they are all about the same, and all a bit louder than the stock monkey-motion thing.

Here's more about STS units, how they work and what to expect...
Old 09-09-2011, 11:26 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Damn CliffyK..that is thorough. Great information!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:02 AM
SpartanStang14
1st Gear Member

yep, I made sure to transfer the cup from the old shifter to the new one. I've started to accept the fact that even when I get a new gasket and the new boot, it will still be louder than the stock one. What exactly makes it louder? With a new layer of RTV and replacing the dust boot, the level of insulation is about the same, right?

Hopefully this thread will be helpful to future potential buyer of STS's. It sure helped me out!

Quick Reply: MGW Shifter Install Gone Wrong? HELP!!!!