4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Best 50 state legal setup for a '98GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:24 PM

Default Best 50 state legal setup for a '98GT

I am from California and have a '98 Mustang GT.
Back in 2001 I swapped out my stock engine for a SHM crate motor with a Procharger.

I would like to put a street legal setup in the car so I can enjoy it more.
I still have all my original parts but would like to do more than return it to mostly stock.

Something I can drive to an open track event and not use the truck and trailer. Most important, I want something that is easy to smog.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:34 PM

I am looking for something around 400rwhp/420rwtq
I have been reading up on PI heads and intake swap. Not sure how wild I can go while still passing a smog.

Being in California, and wanting to stay smog legal. I cant swap in a 5.4 or a 3V or 4V.
I am thinking that swapping in a 99 and up PI 2V motor might be the easiest. But still not sure how far I can go with that setup with out running to rich out the tail pipe.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:16 AM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 714
I am looking for something around 400rwhp/420rwtq
I have been reading up on PI heads and intake swap. Not sure how wild I can go while still passing a smog.

Being in California, and wanting to stay smog legal. I cant swap in a 5.4 or a 3V or 4V.
I am thinking that swapping in a 99 and up PI 2V motor might be the easiest. But still not sure how far I can go with that setup with out running to rich out the tail pipe.
You should be able to do a 4v swap, you just will have to pass Smog based on those engine's Smog requirements. If there is a state ref nearby, might be a good idea to go talk to them.

Otherwise, a P.I. swap and a power adder will get you 400hp. Should be able to stay smog legal too.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:45 AM

I was under the impression and please correct me if I am wrong....
That you could not legally put a 4v in a 2v car in CA.
That the engine swapped had to be the same or newer as what was original equipment.
So I could use a '05 GT motor as long as it met '05 specs but I couldn't use a truck or cobra motor.
If you do go with a newer swap you must go to the ref and he will give you a sticker for the door saying its to be tested as the newer engine.

My thought with doing a PI swap was visually it looks the same and is still the stock block. Allowing me to avoid dealing with the ref all together.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:43 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

forgive me I don't understand Cali laws but why can't you keep your current setup? there are thousands of Mustang guys running around with newer motors in there older Mustangs in Cali. It should not matter that your motor is a SHM crate motor if all the part you put on are CARB legal arnt you good to go?
Old 10-15-2011, 11:42 AM
kast1376
3rd Gear Member

Like I said, I am pretty sure you can, go talk with a state ref. I have a few friends who swapped 3v with their 2v and they pass smog no problems after a visit with the ref.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:25 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

might look into an 03-04 cobra swap. its a factory setup and makes good power in stock form
Old 10-15-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by BraMas
forgive me I don't understand Cali laws but why can't you keep your current setup? there are thousands of Mustang guys running around with newer motors in there older Mustangs in Cali. It should not matter that your motor is a SHM crate motor if all the part you put on are CARB legal arnt you good to go?
The heads and cams on the SHM motor require so much fuel that I couldn't use the stock fuel system.
I need to be able to run the stock fuel lines and rails.

Ive been looking for the paper work on the setup that is in the car now. It was so long ago. I want to quote parts and specs correctly.

Right now with the longtube headers, the huge Procharger with no carb number, and the fuel lines the size of a garden hose. I would need to find the dumbest smog tech to pass the visual. And the car runs rich, even detuned it has no prayer of passing the sniffer.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by kast1376
Like I said, I am pretty sure you can, go talk with a state ref. I have a few friends who swapped 3v with their 2v and they pass smog no problems after a visit with the ref.
I plan on making an appointment Monday. See what my options are from the Ref himself. The Ref for our area is a cool guy, Ive had to deal with him before on another car.

You can swap a 3V into a GT because it was standard equipment on a newer GT. But you still need all of the fuel, exhaust, and emissions systems swapped over also.
I have a 2005 GT also and LOVE the 3V. I just cant afford a swap like that at this time with out some serious luck finding a cheap donor car.

I still have the stock fuel system and a set of shortie headers(along with everything else kicking around my garage).

Thanks for helping.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by school boy
might look into an 03-04 cobra swap. its a factory setup and makes good power in stock form
You have a good point. I had to throw so much money and parts at the car back in 2003 to get over the 450rwhp mark.(without turning my stock engine into a hand grenade) The thing is like owning a helicopter!

Plug and play would be awesome, but I'd like to use as much as I already have as possible.

Another option...
Maybe I need to do the head swap on the Hyland motor. Swap out the F1 for a P1SC, put the stock fuel system in it and just see what I get.

Quick Reply: Best 50 state legal setup for a '98GT