4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

tuner ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 02:29 PM
rfbznb

Default tuner ?

is a tuner worth the money at $380 from AM or should i use the money some were else on the car. it a 02 gt with a CAI and no mufflers no other mods
Old 12-31-2011, 02:39 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

No mufflers on these cars sound like crap. I'd invest in a catback first.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:28 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

tuner, gears, FLSFC, rear lower control arms, tires, springs... take your pick depending on what you want.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:27 PM
supersnake67
2nd Gear Member

GEARS !!!!!
Old 12-31-2011, 11:18 PM
brent22
2nd Gear Member

Gears, catback, tune, LCAs (team z), Tires
Old 12-31-2011, 11:58 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Gears and a used unmarried tuner!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:55 AM
rfbznb

ok so everyone is saying gears gears then tuner.
so im looking at geting 4.10 gears and tuner how bad will this hurt my mpg
its my DD and i drive 55 miles each way to work 6 days a week.
75 miles of it is highway and the other 35 miles of it is city.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:56 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

If you're driving 110 miles a day I'd do things to improve ride quality and comfort. Without knowing how many miles are on your car you could look into shocks and struts, FLSCFs or new more comfortable seats.

Just my .02
Old 01-03-2012, 11:15 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

i agree, if its more a DD then anything, a good set of shocks/struts, and subframes would be a better start. a good set will run you more than a tuner though (IMO good being either Koni or Bilstein). if you dont plan on anything major like coilovers, i've heard that the Koni STR.T's are amazing for the price point. Stranoparts.com has them for $349, thats a full kit, all 4 corners...

if you want more "get up and go" the 2 biggest things you can do without breaking the bank would be gears and a tune. gears themselves are "cheap" about $170 or so, its the install thats killer, and finding a good shop to do it is even more of a PITA. stay away from major chains (like Aamco) unless you know of a specific shop that does outstanding work. i've heard as low as $250 and upwards of $600 for the install.

Full length subframes are about 120$ for the maximum motorsports set, which is one of the best other than a full jacking rail kit. it'll cost to have them welded in, but a competent muffler shop should be able to weld them in, in about an hour or so, depending on who's doing the welding, it'll run you about $100 for labor, maybe 150 for some super quality welds.

a tuner, brand new from AM.com is about 360-380$, and includes free "off the shelf" tunes for life, they are good tunes, but not great tunes. they dont do custom tunes for big power adders like supercharger or turbochargers. but it also opens the door for you to find a dyno later on if you want.

with gears, its not so much the gearing that kills the gas milage, its the lead foot. at 55 mph, you'll barely notice any mpg change. with a decent tune, the car could even pick up gas milage. and if you do go gears, you'll want the tuner to be able to fix the speedometer, as with gear ratio changes, it affects it, as does going larger wheels/tires (diameter). there are other solutions, but a tuner would be a better investment IMO.

there's other tricks to boosting the gas milage, do a basic search on google and you'll find plenty.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
i

with gears, its not so much the gearing that kills the gas milage, its the lead foot. at 55 mph, you'll barely notice any mpg change. with a decent tune, the car could even pick up gas milage. and if you do go gears, you'll want the tuner to be able to fix the speedometer, as with gear ratio changes, it affects it, as does going larger wheels/tires (diameter). there are other solutions, but a tuner would be a better investment IMO.

there's other tricks to boosting the gas milage, do a basic search on google and you'll find plenty.
I dont think its a "lead foot" that burns more gas when it comes to gears bc it actually pulls off a bit easier with the gears just like when you change the rear gears by hand on a bicycle. But at higher speed the higher gear will cause your rpms to be higher example @75 my rpms with stock gears(3.27) were around 2000rpm but with my 3.73s @75 my rpms are at 2500 and my mpg highway went down to 23 mpg when i was getting 26-27 mpg with the stock gears. Nothing to do with me flooring it but the extra gas being burnt was from the higher rpm while cruizing at those highway speeds. but at lower city speeds there was no change it seemed to be the same or better in the city the highway mileage just went down. not bc of flooring it but bc higher rpms equaled up to more gas being burned.

Quick Reply: tuner ?