4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Turbo Headers/Manifolds are where?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:22 AM
Candyman_GT

Default Turbo Headers/Manifolds are where?

So I'm looking into building something like the hp performance stage 1 twin turbo set up. However being the frugal bastard that I am, I don't wanna pay 1500 bucks for headers... anyone know where I can pick up something or make something similar?
Old 02-09-2012, 06:51 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

If you can weld and know how to make headers you can make them for about $600. If not get your credit card out.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:13 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Heard something about lethalperformance.com selling some turbo equipment. Hellion kit etc. Wont hurt to try. May offer buts and pieces
Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

The Garbage *** Hellion kit uses stock manifolds.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:08 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Haha. Yeah that wont help much
Old 02-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Candyman_GT

Well I can mig weld, but not tig weld. Provided I'm not trying to make a perfect equal length header or something. I was thinking of picking up a set of OEM manifolds cutting them off at the flat bit that bolts to the head and flipping them to face forward and running extra piping to where I want the turbos... (behind the bumper like the HP kit but not 6K. Will mig welding work for exhaust piping? Or is it likely to crack or something? Also what would I need to make them out of?
Old 02-10-2012, 01:59 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

There is no way you're gonna get a mig welder in there to weld as tight as the space would me. Here are the flanges http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Dynate...nge,42726.html and you will need the collector something like this http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Dynate...ors,48869.html plus turbo flange and you will need and you will need to order alot of stainless piping Us, straights, 90*, 45*. I helped make a custom set of longtubes for a race car we built that exited out the fender. Very little turns and it took over a week to make. Material for those cost around $600.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:43 AM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by Candyman_GT
So I'm looking into building something like the hp performance stage 1 twin turbo set up. However being the frugal bastard that I am, I don't wanna pay 1500 bucks for headers... anyone know where I can pick up something or make something similar?
There are HPP turbo headers for sale on Corral

If you're cheap you shouldn't be putting together a twin turbo kit. 2 turbos, 2 wastegates, 2 BOVs equal twice the cost of a single turbo.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Candyman_GT

My choices here are spool slower with one turbo which cost about the same as 2 small ones, or spool quick with 2 smaller cheaper ones. Being that I only really wanna run about 400rwhp (stock internals) I opt for the twins... I just dun wanna pay full blast for a twin set up... I have a LOT of fabrication resources available to me, so raw materials and some time are much better to me. Thank you oxford for the links to flanges, I was actually thinking that instead of fully fabricating a set of headers, I could buy a set of manifolds, chop the pipes at the flange, flip them so they point up and forward (possibly down and forward), then extend the piping to where I want the turbos to sit, alter the piping to match the turbo flange, put the turbo flange on, and mount the turbo. I dun need the thing to be beautiful, just functional. In fact the more I can hide it the better.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:08 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Dont do that to the stock manifolds you will never get them to clear the ac or ps plus they will look like this.

Quick Reply: Turbo Headers/Manifolds are where?