4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

A New Era Has Begun....4.10 gears installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 11:31 PM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Default A New Era Has Begun....4.10 gears installed

Hey, you know how it feels when your engine bogs down at low RPM? Well, if you had some 4.10 gears you wouldn't know. The difference from the stock 3.27 ratio on my 2002 GT is amazing. It turned my cruiser from a car that could get some decent wheelspin if I dropped the clutch at about 3000 rpm into a tire shredding monster that can spin the wheels at the drop of a gas pedal any time in first gear. Even if I'm moving and the clutch is all the way out, if I punch it in first, the wheels will start spinning. And these aren't skinny tires, I'm running 275's. Not that you stay in first gear that much, second gear is the parking lot gear, and I use 5th a lot more. I now have a growing compulsion to get this car to the dragstrip to see what it can do.

Would I recommend this mod?? Definitely yes, if, like me, you only drive a few miles a day to work and back and never have to do any highway traveling. Otherwise, you might want 3.73's. It is still possible to drive normally without wheelspin, but you shift a lot quicker through the gears to 4th pretty quick and then to 5th at anything over 30 or 35 mph.

Update on MGW shifter - it took about 2 days to get used to it and now it feels perfectly normal.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:43 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

Boy, when you explain it like that, makes me want it hardcore now...lol Iv'e had those gears in my shopping cart about 40 times at AM. ALWAYS talk myself out of it for some stupid reason or another.

Did you install yourself? Go with a bearing kit?

Sounds like it made the car even more fun...
Old 03-08-2012, 12:29 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tracyballard
Hey, you know how it feels when your engine bogs down at low RPM? Well, if you had some 4.10 gears you wouldn't know. The difference from the stock 3.27 ratio on my 2002 GT is amazing. It turned my cruiser from a car that could get some decent wheelspin if I dropped the clutch at about 3000 rpm into a tire shredding monster that can spin the wheels at the drop of a gas pedal any time in first gear. Even if I'm moving and the clutch is all the way out, if I punch it in first, the wheels will start spinning. And these aren't skinny tires, I'm running 275's. Not that you stay in first gear that much, second gear is the parking lot gear, and I use 5th a lot more. I now have a growing compulsion to get this car to the dragstrip to see what it can do.

Would I recommend this mod?? Definitely yes, if, like me, you only drive a few miles a day to work and back and never have to do any highway traveling. Otherwise, you might want 3.73's. It is still possible to drive normally without wheelspin, but you shift a lot quicker through the gears to 4th pretty quick and then to 5th at anything over 30 or 35 mph.

Update on MGW shifter - it took about 2 days to get used to it and now it feels perfectly normal.
It was good to see you throw that last note in there. Bc thats the determining factor for some ppl. Good to hear you love the choice you made though.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:50 AM
piledriver
Banned

Originally Posted by tracyballard

Hey bro, R U Supercharged? You'll have to put on taller rear tires on the rear, at the track, if you are. But you probably know that already. Your gonna run outta gear at the Strip if you ARE Supercharged. Good luck, and have fun! It's like driving a different car, right? I went with 373's though.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:51 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

My procharged 4v didn't run out of gear at the track with 315/35/17s, but I do have a few more rpms than a 2v.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 AM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

My 3.73's are going in March 31st, can't wait!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
My procharged 4v didn't run out of gear at the track with 315/35/17s, but I do have a few more rpms than a 2v.
Thats what I was about to ask when I read the first part of your post. But you nailed it you have a higher redline than the 2v so you shouldnt run out of gear.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:29 AM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MyGt03

Did you install yourself? Go with a bearing kit?

Sounds like it made the car even more fun...
My mechanic installed it, differentials are not something I would want to work on. Cost was $447 for labor and some additional parts (he said my back rotors were toast so he replaced those and the pads). FRPP gears cost $143, installation kit with Koyo bearings was $53, both on ebay.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:33 AM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Syracuse315
My 3.73's are going in March 31st, can't wait!
that would probably be better for the street, but 3.73's are not exactly a close substitute for 4.10's. Just looking at the numbers they seem close, but with 3.73's you only get about 55% of the torque multiplication increase that you would get from 4.10's, over a stock 3.27 rear.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:36 AM
tracyballard
2nd Gear Member

PS - no supercharger, this engine is bone stock, but it does run good for having 140K miles. this could be my last mod on this car, the next time I get a notion I'll probably get another car and MAYBE let my daughter have this one in a couple of years, unless I blow this engine and have to rebuild it.

Quick Reply: A New Era Has Begun....4.10 gears installed