4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Headers? and a rant to boot...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 06:42 AM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Headers? and a rant to boot...

Scenario: Got the clutch replaced at a garage. When I got the car back, there was a VERY noticible exhaust leak that I would swear didn't exist before. As near as I can determine up to now, it is located to the rear passenger side where the manifold meets the head. Other than the timing, what is the likelihood that they caused this and in what manner? Yes, I have my suppositions, but I don't want to taint what others think by saying what I think yet.

IF the manifold is just loose, could I just tighten it down to fix it, or is the gasket most likely shot and would have to be replaced? If the bolt(s) is/are stripped, how much deeper is the **** I am in?

If I have to go to the trouble of messing around with the manifold anyway, I was thinking of going ahead and getting some headers and getting some 'benefit' out of the work. If I do that, is there any better ones to get, or conversely to stay away from? Would shorties bolt right in to the rest of the stock system or would I be looking at other work there too, and if that is the case, should I go with LTs and are LTs better enough to be worth the extra work?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:32 AM
supersnake67
2nd Gear Member

Just a guess but they would need to take the factory H pipe off to pull the tranny out. If they re-used the passenger side gasket or didn't get it tight enough it could be leaking where the mid pipe bolts to the manifold causing your leak.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:47 AM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

^ +1. they would have no reason or need to touch the manifolds at all. however they would have to take the midpipe off, which just like stated if it's not on correctly or if the gasket ripped it could very well be leaking. I'd take it in and tell them there's an exhaust leak since the repair. if they're a reputable company they will at the very least take a look at it for free, if it's at the midpipe they should fix it for free, if it's at the header, then i doubt it was them but atleast that way you got free diag. haha
Old 03-10-2012, 10:51 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

i dont think theres a gasket from the midpipe to the headers connection. however, it may not be seated properly, causing the leak you speak of. if you have factory headers, there should be no reason for the shop to have removed either of them. if i were you, i would further inspect where the header/midpipe connection. if you can't really tell if thats the problem, remove the midpipe. when putting it back together, apply ultra copper hi temp rtv silicone gasket maker (pictured here) to ALL the connections on the midpipe, then proceed to bolt it down. if you still have a leak, then it may be your header(s), in which case i would call up the shop, angrily, and ask why the f@#k they found it necessary to remove your stock header(s)...
Old 03-10-2012, 01:17 PM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

That is a lot better than I was thinking. But a lot would be answered if it could be pinpointed whether it is the midpipe to manifold or the manifold to head that was leaking. I was thinking the worst and was thinking maybe when reinstalling the tranny it hit the manifold causing the manifold to come away from the head.

Any thoughts on headers? I was sorta browsing and looking at the bbk tuned (equal length pipes) shorties...
Old 03-10-2012, 02:05 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

There is a manifold to mid-pipe gasket on the passenger side...
Old 03-10-2012, 02:15 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Shorties dont seem to be worth it, but longtubes are. I understand that kooks are some of the best.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Taxman72

There wasn't a gasket on mine. I just installed MAC long tubes and LOVE them. Don't waste your time with shorty headers at all. Waste of money.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:40 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

There is a gasket on mine too. I find it hard to believe that a "bump" would separate the manifold from the head. That manifold is cast iron. If bumped hard enough, it would be cracked or broke.

My first off road mid-pipe was a Pypes brand. Like a pack of monkeys bent the tubing. Total junk. Leaked like hell. However, I was able to pinpoint all the leaks by getting front of car high on jack stands, securely. While engine/exhaust is completely cold, have someone start it up and be under there to feel around. If its leaking, you WILL be able to feel it. Presto, leak pinpointed.

As for headers, I can't help. I have factory manifolds. I never considered them because someone once told me that the K-member had to be dropped in order for them to be installed. I have no proof to back this claim up though. Hopefully someone can clarify this?
Old 03-11-2012, 11:56 AM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

you dont NEED to drop the K to do LT's, however you wont want to kill yourself if you do...

Quick Reply: Headers? and a rant to boot...