4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Pro Charger or KB

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 12:09 PM
scott4.6
2nd Gear Member

Here is my 2 cents. I never had any of them , well a tvs on my cobalt. But any way this is how i feel. The pd blower creates more heat and eats up more hp than a centi does . I feel the the pd also eats up more mpg also. just my 2 cents. The pd might make a little bit more down below so what most races ( on the street) are from a roll any, the centi would be the best way to go and it will make more hp at the same boost .
Old 04-03-2012, 02:02 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gt04
I paid 3200 for my ic Kb and that included everything minus the pump (because I already had from my previous blowers) when it comes to the money issue they can be had pretty f'n close in price its all about opinion and your style of driving..... I sold my old procharger setup for only $100 less than my Kb lol, the procharger I'd what funded the Kb
There are deals out there and $3200 for a Brand New KB intercooled? If thats the case thats a good deal. Well I paid $2500(lucky fine on CL for my Vortech Kit and it was Brand New and it was a Complete kit also everything still wrapped up. Now from somewhere like summit or through a shop that same kit would be $3,014 for the same complete ready to go on the car kit. And there can be a huge difference between the cost of the two types depending on the type of centri you are looking at and that goes into another conversatin/debate.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ower-cost.html

Last edited by Rockwell28; 04-03-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:36 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scott4.6
Here is my 2 cents. I never had any of them , well a tvs on my cobalt. But any way this is how i feel. The pd blower creates more heat and eats up more hp than a centi does . I feel the the pd also eats up more mpg also. just my 2 cents. The pd might make a little bit more down below so what most races ( on the street) are from a roll any, the centi would be the best way to go and it will make more hp at the same boost .
I apologize for picking you apart, but your post is a great example of what I'm talking about when guys throw out opinion as fact.

PD blower has more heat. Not true when installed correctly.

PD eats up more hp than a centri. Doesn't matter, only the rwhp does - and that can be the same b/c it's limited by your bottom end. Either can make more power than the motor can take.

PD eats up more MPG Not true at all. In fact my PD blower gets better highway MPG than many of the N/A builds I've seen at equal hp numbers.

...Insert whole last sentence... Here's what you do, look at your RPM gauge when you are driving. See how much time you are between 1000 and 3500 RPM. Then look at how much you are 3500 and redline. Then ask which you spend more time in, and if that is where you need your power. More hp at the same boost is again not relevant because either can make enough power assuming you build them correctly. Sure the centri will make XXX power at 4000 RPM, guess what, the PD blower can make that number, but SOONER and keeps it. That means it's up and gone while you wait for your power to show up from a centri blower. Not something I'd personally want.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

This way we can stop taking opinions andd look into the technical articles and science behind forced induction types. Read below!

Adiabatic Efficiency

Because centrifugal superchargers utilize centrifugal forces to compress the air, centrifugal superchargers offer higher efficiency than positive displacement designs, both in terms power consumption and heat production. “Perhaps the simplest of all superchargers, the centrifugal can also be the most thermally efficient”[12]. The compressor-side of turbochargers are centrifugal designs as well, and also feature high efficiency.

Minimal Heat Transfer

Centrifugal superchargers are typically mounted off to the side on the front of the engine. Distancing the supercharger from the engine via a mounting bracket greatly reduces heat transfer from the engine to the supercharger during operation. By comparison, a twin screw or roots blower which is nested in the center (valley) of the engine, will absorb heat (heat soak) during operation due to thermal transfer from the engine block and heads. Elevated temperature levels in the supercharger directly influence discharge air temperatures that next enter the engine. Higher engine inlet air temperatures result in reduced power increases and an increased likelihood for engine damaging resulting from detonation within the cylinders

Power Output

Centrifugal superchargers add additional boost as the speed of the motor increases. This means the centrifugal supercharger will provide more horsepower at high engine speeds and less boost at lower engine speeds.

http://www.autos.com/aftermarket-par...more-efficient

Last edited by Rockwell28; 04-03-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:06 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

^ good article!! I would like a nice pd blower and will someday have one but personally I like my vortech right now. The power is there when I need it and I can basically choose when I wanna get into boost. I took
My brother for a ride yesterday and he said that it just keeps pulling harder as the rpm's keep climbing
Old 04-03-2012, 06:44 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

As said, lots of misinformation in here. Also stating that you will "wait for your centri blower to pick up " is very incorrect. A properly setup centri setup has instant boost at WOT. I run a 8 rib setup, over drive crank pulley and when I go WOT my boost gauge is instantly at 10-12psi and pulls to upwards of 20
Old 04-03-2012, 07:08 PM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

Ok so I have a few questions. If the centri have power at higher rpm, does that mean If just just slam on the pedal, I will have the power immediately since the rpm's will skyrocket? Also what if you DONT want to do gears like most people do. My 03GT Auto with stock gears is pretty slow. If I had a centri or a PD, would it even matter if I was WOT? I was set on KB becus i wanted to keep my stock gears and I figured i would have the power immediately anyways. I was under the impression that If i went with centri, If i happen to race, i would still lose becus If i kept the stock gears with an auto tranny i wouldnt have the power off the line and by the time the centri kicked in, the other guy would be well ahead of me anyways.

Damm this is confusing. I probably should just sit in a car with both types and judge for myself. Thanks and sorry to threadjack.

Last edited by supermario; 04-03-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:13 PM
grahamgt

Originally Posted by supermario
Ok so I have a few questions. If the centri have power at higher rpm, does that mean If just just slam on the pedal, I will have the power immediately since the rpm's will skyrocket? Also what if you DONT want to do gears like most people do. My 03GT Auto with stock gears is pretty slow. If I had a centri or a PD SC would it even matter if when I took off, I just WOT? Im also considering both and was set on KB becus i wanted to not change my gears and I figured If i would have the power immediately. I was under the impression that If i went with centri, If i happen to race, i would still lose becus If i kept the stock gears and with auto tranny i wouldnt have off the line power and by the time the centri kicked in, the other guy would be well ahead of me anyways.

Damm this is confusing. I probably should just sit in a car with both types and judge for myself. Thanks and sorry to threadjack.
Haha it's fine I'm with you there I just might go procharger Ill be at high rpms anyway
Old 04-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Rockwell28
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grahamgt
Haha it's fine I'm with you there I just might go procharger Ill be at high rpms anyway
And other options other than Porcharger is Vortech, and Paxton when it comes to centri blowers.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:58 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Rockwell, that's good tech for the centri part - but it's off base for the PD info or misleading.

The thing I want to get people to understand is that if you set up the PD blower properly, there is not heat issue. People talking "heat" are using old out-dated info and keeping it alive by spreading that idea. That part is just pure crap. I've NEVER had heat soak issues on any of my PD applications - some of them weren't even intercooled. Today's IC units that come with 99% of the PD blowers take care of the heat issue. So in reality there is no heat soak, no increased IATS and NO LOSS OF PERFORMANCE.

There is no more risk of detonation with a PD than using a centri blower if you are tuned properly (which goes for all power adder applications).

The "power output" section is misleads as well. Of course it makes more psi when the engine goes faster. ALL superchargers do that. It's the physics of how they work. The PD just gives you your peak psi lower RPM range.

Quick Reply: Pro Charger or KB