4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

tinting questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:57 AM
jjstandardz
1st Gear Member

Default tinting questions

I got quoted at about 255 bucks for tint all around in my 02 gt which seemed kinda high to me compared to seeing other people posting there's for like 150 around here.

My friend just got his done in Chicago for 250 as well.

I'm also wondering what tint I should go with, how dark is to dark at night? I'm thinking like 25 but not really sure
Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

255 seems a little on the higher side. i could see if they had to remove old tint too. my car is 20% i dont think i would go any darker than that. if you're having someone tinting your windows make sure its 3M tint, anything else is garbage. don't use autozone/advance auto tint either.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:09 AM
jjstandardz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kugzgt
255 seems a little on the higher side. i could see if they had to remove old tint too. my car is 20% i dont think i would go any darker than that. if you're having someone tinting your windows make sure its 3M tint, anything else is garbage. don't use autozone/advance auto tint either.
3M? Ill keep that in mind thanks!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:20 AM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kugzgt
I would like to second this. I have Autozone tint, 20%, (did it myself to learn how) and it is faded to about 45% after less than 1 year.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:48 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

3M is scratch resistant and will not fade or turn purple over time. keep in mind when you clean your windows use ammonia free window cleaner! windex has ammonia in it, which is a common mistake. this will cause the tint to fade.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:53 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Just a heads up, in ND they will nail you all day long for tinting the front (doors). Most cars come from the factory already at the limit for light transmission in that state and any more is VERY easy to spot by a cop. (I lived there for 12 years.)

As for the price, it's about on par for up there. Come to Miami, there's a $35 tint shop at almost every corner.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Bladerunner
2nd Gear Member

The 3M tint is very good quality window tint it's the same tint
I have had on my Subaru STI for three years now and it still
looks new with no fading or scratches yet.
After you have your windows tinted make sure not to roll your side
windows down for a week so.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:32 PM
jjstandardz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Just a heads up, in ND they will nail you all day long for tinting the front (doors). Most cars come from the factory already at the limit for light transmission in that state and any more is VERY easy to spot by a cop. (I lived there for 12 years.)

As for the price, it's about on par for up there. Come to Miami, there's a $35 tint shop at almost every corner.
Seriously? I thought the cops were pretty chill here , I have bright *** hids and I see people with really dark tint all over the place
Old 07-17-2012, 10:39 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

i paid 200 and got the windows and back windshield. I went with 15% and its too dark at night sometimes. lucky for me it takes 1 second to roll the window down if need be. I stand by my decision and like having illegal tint. Its my car and its my right to privacy. Safety is never an issue since you can just roll the windows down at night IF you really need too, and thats usually only when backing up out of the drive way or something.

I originally had 35% or something and it was dark and all but just not dark enough to provide privacy AND cool off the car in the summer.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:44 AM
SVTgrl99

I work as a graphic designer at a sign shop, have been doing vinyl, wraps, etc for years. I bought a sample roll of enduratint from Signwarehouse.com (20%) high performance... and ended up tinting 4 different cars with it. I love it, its clear, and has a lifetime warranty. I think its pretty expensive for a large roll but a sample is only 69 dollars, plus tax, shipping, etc. The roll is 48"x 20 feet. More than enough! I like 3M products and use them on a daily, but I haven't found tint I like as much as this.

Quick Reply: tinting questions