4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Starting Issues, Car wont stay running on its own, and major knock

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 03:58 AM
luvtheedge83

Default Starting Issues, Car wont stay running on its own, and major knock

so i just bought a 96 gt as a project to work on and play with.

my first problem is im having trouble starting the car. at first the car would turn over a few times and then either stop turning over or catch and fire like the battery was dead. battery supposedly tested good, now all it does is give me 1 loud click. Is it the starter or possibly something else.

my second problem is when the car has started it would only be cause i gave it gas and it would die immediately once i let off the gas pedal. i dont have a clue what this could be.

my final problem is a loud knocking noise while its running. i dont believe its coming from the motor cause when i had it running i got it down to a constant 800rpm and the knock was almost gone so i think its the tranny. what should i look for when i start looking for this issue.

thanks for all input. cant wait to drive this thing. also prolly should note the car isnt all stock and i dont know exactly what is and isnt stock on it right now so please keep that in mind.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:19 PM
mercnstein

this all seems to point to the timing being too far advanced,possible the distributer
being dropped down on the wrong tooth,or the timing chain jumped.pull #1 plug and crank it over till your finger blows off the spark plug hole then turn the timing marks
by hand to 0 degrees then pull the distributer cap and see if the rotor is pointing at
#1 post.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:57 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mercnstein
this all seems to point to the timing being too far advanced,possible the distributer
being dropped down on the wrong tooth,or the timing chain jumped.pull #1 plug and crank it over till your finger blows off the spark plug hole then turn the timing marks
by hand to 0 degrees then pull the distributer cap and see if the rotor is pointing at
#1 post.
Nice try, but a 96 is a 4.6 without a distributor.

To the OP, it sounds to me like the motor is toast and may be locked up. See if you can turn the motor of via the crankshaft pully bolt.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:19 AM
luvtheedge83

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
Nice try, but a 96 is a 4.6 without a distributor.

To the OP, it sounds to me like the motor is toast and may be locked up. See if you can turn the motor of via the crankshaft pully bolt.
thanks... ill give it a try but im pretty sure the motor is good. gonna pull the starter next week to test it get the battery retested somewhere better.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Alot of times when a main bearing is bad you will only hear the knock at idle.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:39 PM
luvtheedge83

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Alot of times when a main bearing is bad you will only hear the knock at idle.
thanks for you input. much appreciated
Old 07-27-2012, 05:59 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Sounds like it has a spun bearing. Try the crankshaft bolt, I am willing to bet that you wont be able to turn it by hand. If so, good time for a 4V swap.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:43 AM
Bman2000
4th Gear Member

start with the starting issue. If the battery tested good, then try smacking the starter with a hammer, if its the starter should fire right up after. And once you get it starting normally then worry about the knock.

Uber, i disagree. If a main bearing is bad y our not likely to hear much at all. Knocks on our cars typically come from the rod bearings, and more specifically the 8th one at the back of the motor, i know ive had 2 haha, one when i bought the car, 8th bearing was toast, had it fixed then again 30k later when i was dumb drag racing low on oil. Both times just the 8th. Its the way our oiling system works, 8th is the last bearing to get oil, along with the last main bearing. so bad idea to start up cold car and hammer on it, or hammer on it low on oil lol.

Back to original point. The knock comes from the change in direction the piston goes up stops, goes back down, on both ends after you have slop in the bearing from spinning it, it moves from one side of the rod to the other. Its very distinctive, mine was worst part throttle around 2k no load, and light load while driving around the same rpm. It sounds like someone hammering your car. easiest way to tell, change oil run a magnet through it youll have tons of flakes of metal from the bearing, or get it running and go under the hood and manually give it throttle and youll hear it from the motor rpm dependent, meaning gets faster as rpm goes up.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:48 AM
luvtheedge83

thanks for the input
Old 07-28-2012, 09:58 AM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Have you figured it out yet?

Quick Reply: Starting Issues, Car wont stay running on its own, and major knock