4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Key

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 11:03 PM
CSteiny

Default New Key

I only have one key for my 99 gt, so i purchased to blanks off ebay for 10 bucks. Im just wondering what route i should go. Could i bring the two keys to walmart and have them match my original key and then take it to the dealership to have it programmed, or does it have to be cut at the dealership also? Or is it going to be the same price if i just bring both of the keys to the dealer?
Old 07-30-2012, 02:02 AM
CBRKNIGHTRIDER

Originally Posted by CSteiny
I only have one key for my 99 gt, so i purchased to blanks off ebay for 10 bucks. Im just wondering what route i should go. Could i bring the two keys to walmart and have them match my original key and then take it to the dealership to have it programmed, or does it have to be cut at the dealership also? Or is it going to be the same price if i just bring both of the keys to the dealer?
I was in the same situation last month, i went to the ford dealership and they wanted $120 to program and provide the key. I ended up buying 2 blanks off ebay as well. I took them to a local lock smith where he cut both keys but only programed one for $45. You could program the third one by yourself once you have 2 programed keys. You save a lot of money if you don't go through the dealership
Old 07-30-2012, 07:29 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Turn off pats with tuner, have ket cut for 5$.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:19 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Turn off pats with tuner, have ket cut for 5$.
I don't know about a locksmith, but I tried many different retail locations to get a key cut and I got the same BS about if the key has a "chip" they have to charge you to cut key with a "chip" even if you just want the $5 key to unlock the door.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:26 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
I don't know about a locksmith, but I tried many different retail locations to get a key cut and I got the same BS about if the key has a "chip" they have to charge you to cut key with a "chip" even if you just want the $5 key to unlock the door.
Weird the ford dealer cut me keys with no chips in them.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:30 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Any competent local locksmith shop can cut and/or program the keys
Old 07-30-2012, 07:02 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Any competent local locksmith shop can cut and/or program the keys
Good to know! What do you suppose the going rate is? Or at least the rate in your area?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:20 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I do not know what the current rate is, however in December of '06 just after I got my GT (I also only got one programmed key) I paid the "Village Locksmith" here in Saint Augustine $45 for a new key and the programming of the SecuriLock (PATS) to accept the new key..

'99 through '04 Mustangs have PATS type C that requires you have two programmed keys for user programming, most locksmiths have a programming instrument with "personality modules" (Fluke makes one last I knew) that can duplicate the dealer programming systems for most manufacturers. They cost $10k to $15k last I knew...
Old 07-30-2012, 09:37 PM
BLKSTANGER
2nd Gear Member

Most big locksmith shops can do it. Or you can get your keys cut and then cut up the original and zip tie it over the ignition inside the column so the chip is recognized. And no I haven't done this to mine. But I have seen it done.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:46 PM
CSteiny

Thanks everybody, im just going to have the dealer do it, they want like 48 dollars for the programming and 5 dollars cutting it.

Quick Reply: New Key