4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 07:20 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

i bought everything on mine, non-intercooled for 2200 bucks and i did this all in a 3 month span, so if you wait a little more time you could probably find better deals than i did and possibly piece a vortech or procharger cheaper than i did.

Go to the pipes, boost, and juice section and check out the '$1500 Supercharger Build'
Old 07-31-2012, 07:25 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MCxQubed
i bought everything on mine, non-intercooled for 2200 bucks and i did this all in a 3 month span, so if you wait a little more time you could probably find better deals than i did and possibly piece a vortech or procharger cheaper than i did.

Go to the pipes, boost, and juice section and check out the '$1500 Supercharger Build'
Add an FMIC or aftercooler and then it's a whole lot more worthwhile IMO. None the less, if you're not looking for a whole lot of power it's a great way to go F/I
Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Hangwire
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
Wrong.

On3 is in a bit of trouble right now over some injectors, look on Corral and SVTP for further proof...so good luck getting ahold of them.

As for cost, it costs considerably more than that. You have to buy a K member kit, QA1 to exact, which is garbage...or you can go with the 2200$ forward facing kit and buy the more expensive yet UPR kmember. (The forward facing is the only kit worth its salt) Not to mention if you don't like doing fab work and basically throwing half of their kit away then stay far away!! If you are mechanically inclined and know a good amount about turbo kits you can make that kit decent for about a grand, or maybe 2 if you're resourcful, less than a hellion kit.

They are hit or miss mostly, either you get one that leaks HORRIBLY or you get one that's decently made. Either way, DO NOT use their MAF, pump, or injectors....wastegates, BOV's or their turbo unless you like boost creap and shoddy turbos.

Everything above can be varified by a simple google search.
Everything I have read about the on3 kits correspond with this OP. Everytime I see a on3 turbo kit thread no matter what forum I click to page 13 and the user is still having trouble or fixing quirks. Turbos are the cream of the crop for forced induction, but it also costs to be the boss. A proper reliable turbo setup is worth the money if you have it, but its a lot of money.

Last edited by Hangwire; 07-31-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:45 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
Add an FMIC or aftercooler and then it's a whole lot more worthwhile IMO. None the less, if you're not looking for a whole lot of power it's a great way to go F/I
I already have an IC on my car now, but if you do plan on doing a vortech then do the intercooler and everything at once
Old 07-31-2012, 10:23 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
^^ That's if you have a PI swap done.
it can still be used on npi heads, the flow wont be as great. people use the pi manifold on npi heads all the time
Old 08-01-2012, 06:52 AM
97bluethundergt

i only work part time because im a freshman in college and i make about $1200 a month so im going to save up but i prefer superchargers due to the fact that i dont have a ton of money to dump into a turbo or have the money need to fix a turbo if something breaks. so i saw vortech a lot when the topic was about superchargers is this the best brand or are there other ones i should look at? also i saw that i need to get an intercooler which brand would be the best to buy? also what else will i need to upgrade to compensate for the boost in horsepower? i know fuel injectors and possibly clutch but im already putting in a spec stage 2+ race clutch with flywheel what other upgrades would be beneficial but not break the bank? please let me know and thanks for all the responses about my first question i really appreciate it.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:16 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Vortech is probably gonna be the cheapest route. Then you don't "need" and intercooler but its better to have one, i didn't run one for about 7 or so months, but i bought it about 3 months after i put my vortech on. I know im pushing it, but im on a stock clutch at 390 whp so the stock clutch works, you're going to need at least 39# injectors, a maf, and a fuel pump on top of the supercharger stuff
Old 08-01-2012, 07:19 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I've been saying it for years, on3 is gargbage. I'm not even get started on the fuel injector fiasco.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:10 AM
chasen1982
2nd Gear Member

Well you guys can speak all you want from reading text on a computer and google... I'll continue to speak from my actual friends experience in real life. and what i've seen up close and personal. He hasn't had a single problem with his kit. Yes it's really ****ed up they passed off some cheap fuel injectors as a top brand. That doesn't mean every turbo kit is a peice of **** though.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:36 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by chasen1982
Well you guys can speak all you want from reading text on a computer and google... I'll continue to speak from my actual friends experience in real life. and what i've seen up close and personal. He hasn't had a single problem with his kit. Yes it's really ****ed up they passed off some cheap fuel injectors as a top brand. That doesn't mean every turbo kit is a peice of **** though.
Two guys locally ran those kits, I don't knwo what version it was, but oen was purchased last year for a 2001 cobra, nothing fit right, everything leaked, the turbo was garbage, and all the hotside piping had to be replaced after 2 months as welds broke. He ended up spending the money for a hellion kit and has lived happily ever after.

Quick Reply: Supercharger