Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts


Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


99-04 hood scoop functional?

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member
 
Cali_Swag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Vehicle: 2003 Ford Mustang GT
Location: California
Posts: 104
Default 99-04 hood scoop functional?

An idea just popped into my head and was wondering if I could cut a hole in the scoop to allow air to go in the engine (or let more heat out). Would that be a waste of time, or could it help keep the engine cooler? By cut a hole I mean cut the open part of the scoop and also part of the hood underneath.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
__________________


Saleen Series II supercharger. Comp cams 262, 3.73 gears, Bassani catted Xpipe, SLP LM1 catback.
Cali_Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Repzard
4th Gear Member
 
Repzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Vehicle: 99 Ford Mustang GT & 97 Cobra SVT
Location: sttesuhcaxaT (The State you love to hate)
Posts: 1,360
Default

Try the search button.
This has been talked about before on this forum many times.
really there is no benefit to doing this ,plus your engine will get dirty fast with out no type of filtration.
plus it could make the hood scoop fly off
__________________

1997 SVT Cobra #6149 of 6961
Repzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member
 
Cali_Swag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Vehicle: 2003 Ford Mustang GT
Location: California
Posts: 104
Default

I usually do search the threads before I post anything, but I was using my phone and it is a b**** trying to do anything but basic stuff with it. Aside from that, you pretty much answered my question.
__________________


Saleen Series II supercharger. Comp cams 262, 3.73 gears, Bassani catted Xpipe, SLP LM1 catback.
Cali_Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member
 
MCxQubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Vehicle: 2004 Mustang GT and 1967 Mustang Fastback
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,172
Mase V2SQ
Default

Yeah it's really no use. I remember reading that the hood scoops kept flying off the hood
MCxQubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
BraMas
5th Gear Member
 
BraMas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 1996 Mustang GT
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 4,634
BraMas
Default

I think this question has overtaken "What Gear" Threads as being the most annoying question on the forums
__________________
BraMas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Vehicle: 2003 Mustang GT
Location: Indiana
Posts: 414
Default

I've read it's also a good way to get water into your spark plug wells.
jrp1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1998 SL500
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 10,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraMas View Post
I think this question has overtaken "What Gear" Threads as being the most annoying question on the forums
I second that, do we have a motion to approve?
__________________
-cliff knight-
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum,
Delta Force tuned, Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel,
RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq


Engineering is, at its base, making what you want from what you have.
At its extreme it is making what you want from what you can get.
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member
 
Cali_Swag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Vehicle: 2003 Ford Mustang GT
Location: California
Posts: 104
Default

It was a random idea that popped into my head, the first response was all I needed. I didn't search before I posted because I was using my phone.. My bad guys take it easy
__________________


Saleen Series II supercharger. Comp cams 262, 3.73 gears, Bassani catted Xpipe, SLP LM1 catback.
Cali_Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member
 
Cali_Swag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Vehicle: 2003 Ford Mustang GT
Location: California
Posts: 104
Default

I really like the Mach 1 hood shaker but I don't want to look like a poser so I was trying to explore a different route. That is why I started the thread, but my question was answered in the first response.
__________________


Saleen Series II supercharger. Comp cams 262, 3.73 gears, Bassani catted Xpipe, SLP LM1 catback.
Cali_Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1998 SL500
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 10,914
Default

If there is but one overused/misused word in our modern lexicon it is "random"; in fact it is encroaching on being a personal pet peeve. This was not a random¹ thought, but rather a quite specific thought.

If you were headed toward the notion of "ram air" then read this...

-----------------------------------------------------
¹ - random: proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern.
__________________
-cliff knight-
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum,
Delta Force tuned, Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel,
RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq


Engineering is, at its base, making what you want from what you have.
At its extreme it is making what you want from what you can get.
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member
 
Cali_Swag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Vehicle: 2003 Ford Mustang GT
Location: California
Posts: 104
Default

So driving down the street and wondering if cutting open the hood scoop would help cool down the engine is not a random thought? Thanks for the article though.
__________________


Saleen Series II supercharger. Comp cams 262, 3.73 gears, Bassani catted Xpipe, SLP LM1 catback.

Last edited by Cali_Swag; 09-03-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Cali_Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #12
CSteiny
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1999 Ford Mustang
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13
Default

Whats the point of having a forum if you cant ask questions?

Forum-
an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.

If your not allowed to ask question then i guess this isn't forum. I was interested in the question when i saw this thread but i guess its illegal to ask questions on this forum.
CSteiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #13
BraMas
5th Gear Member
 
BraMas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Vehicle: 1996 Mustang GT
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 4,634
BraMas
Default

No this question is asked at least twice a week. So to people that have been here longer than May and June of 2012 it gets a little annoying.
__________________
BraMas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #14
CSteiny
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 1999 Ford Mustang
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13
Default

I am members of many other forums and have never seen this problem, the guy was on his phone and it hard to search on it, thats all im saying. If you bugs guys so much how about you explain it to a new member nicely and explain why you prefer them to use the search button. This is a fairly low traveled forum as well so i think somebody bringing up a new topic is nice anyways. Im sure every issue that is brought up in this forum is available in the search button feature on this forum or is available on the internet or other sources. Does this mean nobody is allowed to ask a question since every topic has been covered? If there were hundreds of new threads brought up a day i can see it getting annoying but, there is 5 to 10 on a good day. Im not dissing this forum in anyway but i think new people on this forum get a little of a bad vibe and get turned away from asking more question and helping other people out. Just because somebody has on been on this website for a couple months does not mean they don't know alot, they just spend their time away from the computer.
CSteiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #15
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1998 SL500
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 10,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_Swag View Post
So driving down the street and wondering if cutting open the hood scoop would help cool down the engine is not a random thought? Thanks for the article though.
No problem, keep in mind I am old and an engineer which makes the word "random" a special word, meaning as I posted earlier "proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern".

That you wondered "...if cutting open the hood scoop would help cool down the engine.." was not made, nor did it occur "without definite aim, reason, or pattern". As the aim and reason were quite definite, I.e. would it "...help cool down the engine...", it was therefore not, by definition, a "random" thought. It may have been a "fleeting" thought but it was not random.

A random thought would be driving down the road and wondering "hood scoop", or "nice car", or "nice ****" with no aim (intended action), reason (to file for future reference), or pattern (I like nice ****)...
__________________
-cliff knight-
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum,
Delta Force tuned, Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel,
RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq


Engineering is, at its base, making what you want from what you have.
At its extreme it is making what you want from what you can get.

Last edited by cliffyk; 09-03-2012 at 07:46 PM.
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #16
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1998 SL500
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 10,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSteiny View Post
I am members of many other forums and have never seen this problem, the guy was on his phone and it hard to search on it, thats all im saying. If you bugs guys so much how about you explain it to a new member nicely and explain why you prefer them to use the search button. This is a fairly low traveled forum as well so i think somebody bringing up a new topic is nice anyways. Im sure every issue that is brought up in this forum is available in the search button feature on this forum or is available on the internet or other sources. Does this mean nobody is allowed to ask a question since every topic has been covered? If there were hundreds of new threads brought up a day i can see it getting annoying but, there is 5 to 10 on a good day. Im not dissing this forum in anyway but i think new people on this forum get a little of a bad vibe and get turned away from asking more question and helping other people out. Just because somebody has on been on this website for a couple months does not mean they don't know alot, they just spend their time away from the computer.
OK if we want to talk communications, then you need to stop posting unreadable, poorly phrased and punctuated globs of text. Here is a proper re-formatting of the glob, perhaps now someone will bother to read it and respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSteiny View Post
I am a member of many other forums and have never seen this problem, the guy was on his phone and it hard to search on it; that's all I'm saying.

If it bugs you guys so much then how about you explain it to a new member nicely. and explain why you prefer them to use the search button?

This is a fairly low traveled forum as well, so I think somebody bringing up a new topic is nice. I'm sure every issue that is brought up in this forum is available in the search button feature on this forum, or is available on the internet or other sources.

Does this mean nobody is allowed to ask a question since every topic has been covered? If there were hundreds of new threads brought up a day I could see it getting annoying but, there are 5 to 10 on a good day.

I'm not dissing this forum in any way however I think new people on this forum get a little of a bad vibe, and get turned away from asking more questions and helping other people out.

Just because someone has on been on this website for a couple months does not mean they don't know a lot, they just spend their time away from the computer.
Now that I can read it I happen to agree with what you have said regarding the tone of our initial response, to the one or two-millionth question, about opening up the hood scoop--we should have been more gracious.

However the fact that the OP was "on his cell phone" is no one's problem but his own, he should have selected a better tool. And it was far from a "new topic".

Also I disagree that this is a "fairly low traveled forum". In fact I sort of roosted here because it was one of the more popular and better informed venues. I would argue that the lack of "new topics" is more a reflection of the accumulated knowledge offered here (available with the Search function), and maturity of the members, than any shortcoming--I.e. there are few "new topics" to be introduced. After all the newest of the cars inclusive to this forum is nearly 9 years old.

---------------------------------------
The word but negates everything that was said before it. It should only be used when you intend to do that, otherwise use however, nonetheless, or instead...
__________________
-cliff knight-
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum,
Delta Force tuned, Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel,
RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq


Engineering is, at its base, making what you want from what you have.
At its extreme it is making what you want from what you can get.

Last edited by cliffyk; 09-03-2012 at 08:24 PM.
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #17
wifes pony
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Vehicle: 1998 mustang GT
Location: georgia
Posts: 61
Default

Youchh?!!!! Excuse the hell out of me!!!! Hahahahha!!!!
wifes pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #18
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT
 
cliffyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 1998 SL500
Location: Saint Augustine, FL
Posts: 10,914
Default

I thought I was being nice.
__________________
-cliff knight-
SOLD! - 2003 GT, UPR X, FRPP 24lb/h, Magnaflow, PP 70mm TB & plenum,
Delta Force tuned, Steeda UDPs, Ralco flywheel,
RAM HDX clutch, 3.73s, 262 rwHP/305 lb-ft.

New ride (7/1/2013) 1998 Mercedes SL500-5.0L 32V VVT 326/347 HP/tq


Engineering is, at its base, making what you want from what you have.
At its extreme it is making what you want from what you can get.
cliffyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #19
1slow67
ROTM Moderator
 
1slow67's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Vehicle: 2003 GT
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 7,941
jake03gt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffyk View Post
I thought I was being nice.
You were, that was hard to read.
__________________
1slow67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #20
LilRoush
6th Gear Member
 
LilRoush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle: Roush
Location: South FL
Posts: 8,528
Send a message via AIM to LilRoush
Default

+ 1 to everything Cliff just posted.
__________________
~Matt
1998 Roush: M112'd Aluminum block 4.6L 2V 6 speed track car
1999 SVT: Mostly stockish
1970 Mach 1: Resto-modded monster

2000 Roush #5004 - World's FIRST M112'd V6 Mustang. Sold, but not forgotten.
LilRoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup