4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Transmission Fly Wheel problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 01:13 AM
AwwPhooey

Default Transmission Fly Wheel problem

Hello Folks- hoping to get some guidance regarding my issue, appreciate the space.

I have a 2000 GT A/T which was totaled in an accident- body shot, engine great. I found a 2002 GT manual which is cherry and has a blown engine. From all I've read on the boards and in asking other Mustang pros in person, it was supposed to be pretty seamless taking my 2000 engine and matching it with the 2002 manual tranny.

Hasn't been the case so far- the flywheel 8 bolt pattern is just ever ever so slightly off (I'd attach a pic, but for some reason I don't have the option available to me). I've rotated, but it doesn't match.

I'm not sure what to do here, I'm pretty bummed and soon to need a running vehicle to get to work. Can anyone tell me why this may be the case, when I've never read this as being an issue? Will I need to have to have a flywheel made for me from a machine shop?

Any guidance you folks can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Phoo

Last edited by AwwPhooey; 10-14-2012 at 04:49 AM. Reason: pic
Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 AM
motorman524
MF Informant

Where'd the flywheel come from? If you bought a flywheel for a 99-mid 01 GT, Cobra, Mach 1 then it will line up.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:01 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

The flywheels only mount one specific way, otherwise the holes will be slightly off, keep rotating the flywheel untill it lines up. I may be off with my new edge tech but doesn't the gt use a 6 bolt crank pattern and the cobra/mach use an 8 bolt.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:43 AM
motorman524
MF Informant

^After mid 01 they went to the Romeo engine, which is 6. My 00 has a Windsor which is an 8 bolt.

Pic from my 4R70W to TKO600 swap.

Name:  IMAG0500.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  54.6 KB
Old 10-14-2012, 10:45 AM
AwwPhooey

Hey folks, thanks for taking the time. Let me try to do a bit better job of explaining. I own a 2000 stock GT, automatic transmission, which my son totaled. Engine is fine so I took it out, parted out rest of car.

I found a 2002 stock GT, manual transmission, which has a blown engine but otherwise everything else is great. I am trying to match the engine from my 2000 GT with the 2002 manual tranny, but the bolt pattern on the flywheel is slightly off.

I've turned it and turned it repeatedly, but to no avail. The forum doesn't seem to allow me to post an attachment, so I placed a pic of my problem on Flickr. You can see where the bolt hole edges are slightly off.

A shop guy told me that the two years I'm working with use a differennt crankshaft, and that honestly seems to be the case- but I really researched articles and forums before trying this, and everything I read said there'd be no problems.

Here's the pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/awwphoo...n/photostream/

Any more advice you'd be willing to give would be appreciated.

Phoo
Old 10-14-2012, 10:59 AM
motorman524
MF Informant

SO, where did you get the flywheel?? If you bought a flywheel for a 99-mid 01 GT, Cobra, Mach 1 then it will line up. Like Uber said, you have to rotate the flywheel until it lines up, but we're assuming you have the correct one.You obviously can't use the flywheel from the 02 as it is a 6 bolt.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:04 AM
AwwPhooey

Hey folks, thanks for taking the time to respond. I did a little reading last night, and based on what I read and what you stated Motorman, caught the aspect of Romeo vs Windsor, and I was confused because the manual I bought is an '02- but I saw "Windsor" on both valve covers while I was swapping out (didn't pay much attention to it at the time, I'm still learning as I go along).

I just went out to look at the door sticker, apparently I have an '02 body, but a '00 engine- but now I'm even MORE confused, because if they're the same engine I shouldn't be having this problem at all.

Let me try to do a bit better job of explaining what I did though, just to be clear. I own a 2000 stock GT, automatic transmission, which my son totaled. Engine is fine so I took it out, parted out rest of car.

I apparently found a 2002 stock GT with a '00 engine with manual transmission. Engine blown but otherwise everything else is great. I am trying to match the engine from my 2000 GT with the 2000 manual tranny, but the bolt pattern on the flywheel (both wheels have 8) is slightly off.

I've turned it and turned it repeatedly, but to no avail. The forum doesn't seem to allow me to post an attachment, so I placed a pic of my problem on Flickr. You can see where the bolt hole edges are slightly off. And again, I've rotated and rotated and this is the best I can get.

Here's the pic:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/awwphoo...n/photostream/

Any more advice you'd be willing to give would be appreciated.

Phoo
Old 10-14-2012, 11:10 AM
motorman524
MF Informant

What is the 8th digit on the 02's VIN #? And what's the build date on the cars door sticker?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:58 AM
AwwPhooey

Both have the 8th digit as "X", and the build date on the door sticker of the manual, it's scraped so I can't quite tell. But the engine and tranny on the manual came together, and they were both built 2000.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:23 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

They simply didn't put Windsors in 02 cars. I'm thinking that you're car is one of the last 01's that they put the Windsors in and you have the year wrong. The bottom line is that the flywheel WILL bolt up, you're going to have to keep rotating it. An 8 bolt 4.6 crankshaft is an 8 bolt 4.6 crankshaft. There are no other versions of it.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fly Wheel problem