4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

forged internals? whats next?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Kennygt

Default forged internals? whats next?

I have a 2002 mustang gt 2v. I have a 3 core intercooler, procharger (p1) stage 1 ported head, catback exhaust, H pipe, Long tube headers have been shipped. Throttle body (75mm) and a "super street" cam. i am asking about how much is it too forge the internals, and whats a good brand? I can only sit at about 6-8psi on my blower because the internals cant hold much more power. It dynoed at 401 hp and 398 tq. How much should i be looking at spending to forge the internals? any other suggestions for my car as well?
Old 10-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Rohan

You're looking at about 2500 bucks for a complete forged rotating assembly and then add the cost of labor to it. What are the specs on the cams? You didn't mention a valve spring upgrade. You need to do that because the stock ones won't hold up very long. I suggest Manley. Also a tune? If you're putting that much money into it then get a good tune done at a reputable speed shop with a dyno. You're in Indiana so you have Livernois right up the road in Michigan if you want to drop the cash.

Honestly, had it been me... I would have not modded the GT at all and traded it in on an 03-04 Cobra. They are already supercharged with forged internals and 39 lb injectors. And they are 4 valve. They were under-rated at 390 hp out of the factory so a few things like a pulley, intake, full exhaust, and tune would have put you up in the 430 - 440 hp area. These cars are very responsive to mods.

-Rohan
Old 10-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Kennygt

I'm not sure on the cam. its not very aggressive but at idle you can tell there is one on it. My car does have a tune on it as well, I forgot to mention it. I will look into valve springs. whats a good brand of forged internals? i did not do most of these upgrades myself, i bought this car from a close family friend. The biggest thing holding me back is my internals. i already have a upgraded fuel system so when i do start spending the bejamins that is already taken care of. I was thinking about a cobra but i love the stance this car has and am happy with it and because there's so much done to it already i was just going to add to it.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Kennygt

not to mention my gt is sitting at only 30k miles.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Rohan

As long as you are happy with it then that's all that matters.
As far as a good brand, I would go with Manley. I have had really good experiences in the past with them.

Where are you from in Indiana?
Old 10-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Kennygt

Right around goshen Indiana which is about 30minute from south bend I you know where that is. I will look into Manley. Any other suggestions as for what to do to my car.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:17 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I'd just buy a shortblock from MMR.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Kennygt

What's the advantages of buying a short block instead of just the internals?
Old 10-28-2012, 08:15 PM
Rohan

Originally Posted by Kennygt
Right around goshen Indiana which is about 30minute from south bend I you know where that is. I will look into Manley. Any other suggestions as for what to do to my car.

I know exactly where that is. I have family up that way in Lafayette. I grew up down around Vincennes. Used to go to Indy a lot for concerts. Went to Fort Wayne one time when Megadeth came back on tour. I think it was 2001 or 2002. Can't remember exactly. Been to the car museums in Auburn too.

-Rohan
Old 10-29-2012, 07:18 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by Kennygt
What's the advantages of buying a short block instead of just the internals?
Its already assembled and ready to go, and depending on your mechanical expertise it may be a cheaper route.

Quick Reply: forged internals? whats next?