4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

300 RWHP NA?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 04:18 PM
03greyGT
3rd Gear Member

You can get into the 12s with less than 300rwhp...You can do basic boltons, and then put the rest of the money into a budget suspension and some sticky tires and get your 12s. My buddy had an 01 GT with 250rwhp and was going 12.50s...driving the crap out of it mind you, but if you focus a little bit more on suspension and hooking up, you will be surprised at what these cars can do without a ton of hp...
Old 10-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99TA5.7
^ A foxbody may be my best bet. I like the new edge's more and being almost 15 years newer, I'd probably have less issues with one, but If I cant get to the 300rwhp mark after doing full bolt-ons (probably around $5k), then a foxbody would probably my next best bet.

Ive actually seen a few for around 8k give or take that already have most of the work done, ive seen a few with blowers and lots of bolt ons already installed for that price. I dont know if I would go for one of those though, when youre in a car forthat much money you'd really have to make sure the previous owner installed everything the right way, not all jacked up. I dont think i'd want any more than 350whp, being a daily driver means i'd get stuck in rain sometimes and maybe even snow, so too much power could really screw me in those situations. I drove my TA one winter, studded tires are a must.

How much does full bolt-ons (intake, exhaust, heads, cam) get you in a foxbody? I'm guessing not up to the 300whp mark, but i know the foxbody's are light so they could probably run down a 12.9/12.8 with less power than itd take an ss or a ws6 to do it.
You can normally pick up a decent fox for cheap in the $2-3k range, then parts are cheap as hell when compared to a new edge and craigslist will be your best friend for even cheaper fox parts. Some long tubes, heads, a nice cam and full bolt ons would put you at like $1-1.5k in parts, if not cheaper, if you are able to do the work yourself. I bought my last fox for 1500 put full bolt ons, heads, cam, headers and picked up a vortech for it and had around $4k invested total including repainting it.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:23 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Doesn't take a whole lot to get into 12's with the new edge. Still, I agree with some of the others, shoot for a Cobra. In my Mark VIII swapped GT, which is basically the same motor as the cobra, just a tad less power, I could walk an M6 LT1 and hang with an A4 LS1. I lost by a fender to a 2010 SS auto.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:35 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Well I switched to a LS1 from a full bolt on and cammed 2004 gt because I wanted to make some real power lol With just full bolt ons and cams I made about 285 to the wheels, and close to 400 on a 100 shot just for reference
Old 10-27-2012, 08:38 AM
99TA5.7

^ lol yeah, the Camaros got more power to the wheels rolling out of the factory then the GT gets with full bolt ons and cam. LS1's were one of the best things to happen to muscle cars, but the problem is people know that. I would buy another Trans Am/WS6 (and en probably even an SS even thou im not as big on the looks as the TA) in a heartbeat but in my area, it goes 2 ways :
1) The LS1 cars are kept low-mile, collector items - and their owners are asking $15k plus for them
2) The LS1 cars are high miles (110k plus), probably beat, and being sold for around 7/8k as the cheapest
Neither one fits what I'm looking for unfortunately, but i'll still keep my eyes open for a deal on one. Mustangs pretty much have a full range of what people are looking for as far as condition goes.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:17 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

you wouldnt need to forge your internals if you would want to through a blower on the GT. A lot of the people on here run centri blowers on stock internals and make around 400rwhp. The "limit" on these engines is 400-450whp, but it really depends on the tune. I pieced my vortech together online for around 2200, without an intercooler. That's just parts though, it would be more obviously if you take it to a shop. I could have gotten my stuff for cheaper if I had waited longer to find better deals but I was really anxious.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:42 AM
99TA5.7

What exactly would I need to do to the car to get it ready for a blower? I know some of the fuel components will have to be upgraded, but is there anything else?

Also, are there any small blowers that would get me to around 350whp? 400whp seems alot for me as a daily driver, but it looks like most blowers you throw on get you to well over the 350who mark.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:31 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

^ lol yeah, the Camaros got more power to the wheels rolling out of the factory then the GT gets with full bolt ons and cam. LS1's were one of the best things to happen to muscle cars, but the problem is people know that. I would buy another Trans Am/WS6 (and en probably even an SS even thou im not as big on the looks as the TA) in a heartbeat but in my area, it goes 2 ways :
1) The LS1 cars are kept low-mile, collector items - and their owners are asking $15k plus for them
2) The LS1 cars are high miles (110k plus), probably beat, and being sold for around 7/8k as the cheapest
Neither one fits what I'm looking for unfortunately, but i'll still keep my eyes open for a deal on one. Mustangs pretty much have a full range of what people are looking for as far as condition goes.
Yep I agree! I got lucky with this one though...it was basically a straight up trade The gt had 55K and the SS has 75K. There were a lot of things I liked better about the stang, but it was time for a change and the i've wanted a HCI LS1 f-body. Next spring i'll hit it with a 125-150 shot (already has a kick *** system installed and ready to go) and make some serious power lol

Good luck with the stang man!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:25 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rohan
Agreed
If you're going to buy a GT and throw a blower on it then you have a lot of work to do and a lot of money to invest. There's a lot more to just sticking a blower on. You need internals that can handle the boost. If you're on a 7/8k budget then I'm not sure you're going to make the mark supercharging a New Edge car. Since you don't like the SN-95 cars I would go with a Fox body. You can get them cheap and build them up strong like Gt04 said.
-Rohan
False. I have a 200,000 mile stock bottom end supercharged car.

I should stop mentioning 300rwhp so much lol, its kinda deceiving. To be honest, I dont really care about the rwhp numbers, I just really want a daily driver that runs around 12.9 or so. In my area, theres not a whole lot going on race-wise, so car in the high 12's would hold its own very well and I'd be more than happy with that.
There's a guy on another forum with a basicly stock motor, big suspsension running 12s all day long.

What exactly would I need to do to the car to get it ready for a blower? I know some of the fuel components will have to be upgraded, but is there anything else?

Also, are there any small blowers that would get me to around 350whp? 400whp seems alot for me as a daily driver, but it looks like most blowers you throw on get you to well over the 350who mark.
You have a few options, and you can always go to a big pulley to lower your boost levels. As far as what is needed: blower set up, step up the fuel (MAF, injectors and pump) and a good tune.

Being a positive displacement blower guy, I'll mention the Tork Teck kit first. It uses the Eaton M112 offf the 03/04 Cobra.

Look into the ProCharger set up. I'm a big fan of it for a centri blower. It's well put together and puts down some great numbers.

Alot of guys on this forum also like the 'do it yourself' Vortech set up.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:52 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Having owned a 04 GT and then a 03 mach 1...I'd take an LS motor over either of them. Cheaper to make power and easier. I would need heads/cam/full exhaust/intake/tune on the GT to make a 300hp range...my GTO with full exhaust/CAI (that actually works)/tune I'm at 340/360.

Yes a Mach 1 would be a decent race against my LS1, but my ONE cam is easier to put in and cheaper than 4 cams lol

If you are stuck on a 2V GT...just supercharge with very conservative boost and tune and you are done.

Quick Reply: 300 RWHP NA?