4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Best riding shocks/struts for lowered 02 gt vert?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:12 AM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Question Best riding shocks/struts for lowered 02 gt vert?

what are the best shock/strut combo for my 2002 gt vert? got eibach pro kit with isos and mm cc plates. plan on pulling isos and putting on new shocks and struts. only have 46k miles on the car but want a better riding car that the shocks and struts can take a lowered car. looking into bilsteins with lifetime warranty. any other good shocks and struts to take into consideration?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

"Better riding car", if by which you mean more comfortable, went out the door with the stock springs as isolators, as both changes ahave worked to reduce suspension travel. The best you can hope for now is a a well-controlled suspension; which will require "stiffer" shocks (the Bilsteins would be a good choice) and a less comfortable "ride" as compared to the stock suspension.

It won't be nasty, however it will not be what many would consider "comfortable" either.

My father bitches about the "ride" every time he travels in my car, OTH I bitch about the unstable marshmallow ride provided by his Buick Park Avenue. That damned car can be moving in a straight line with the body yawing off 5° or more to either side...
Old 12-17-2012, 04:17 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by luke1333
what are the best shock/strut combo for my 2002 gt vert? got eibach pro kit with isos and mm cc plates. plan on pulling isos and putting on new shocks and struts. only have 46k miles on the car but want a better riding car that the shocks and struts can take a lowered car. looking into bilsteins with lifetime warranty. any other good shocks and struts to take into consideration?

I had an '04 GT vert with Eibach Pro springs and Strange 10-way adjustable shocks and struts. It was cushy enough for daily driving with the dampeners set fairly soft, but they can be stiffened up in about 2 minutes with no tools, and the car corners very well on them.

http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-strut-94.html
http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-shock-94.html
Old 12-17-2012, 04:26 PM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
"Better riding car", if by which you mean more comfortable, went out the door with the stock springs as isolators, as both changes ahave worked to reduce suspension travel. The best you can hope for now is a a well-controlled suspension; which will require "stiffer" shocks (the Bilsteins would be a good choice) and a less comfortable "ride" as compared to the stock suspension.

It won't be nasty, however it will not be what many would consider "comfortable" either.

My father bitches about the "ride" every time he travels in my car, OTH I bitch about the unstable marshmallow ride provided by his Buick Park Avenue. That damned car can be moving in a straight line with the body yawing off 5° or more to either side...
it isnt nasty by any reach of your imagination just not as smooth. going to adjust spacers on the car tonight from mm cc plates and hope it fixes my rattle issue and maybe allows struts to work more and give some more give. but right now the shocks and struts feel almost like they arent working for some reason. and bilsteins dont know if they would feel that much difference in daily driving but i work at dealer and can get all 4 brand new for like $550 and install for next to nothing with friend so that seems like a deal to me and if it will ride and handle better too!

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
I had an '04 GT vert with Eibach Pro springs and Strange 10-way adjustable shocks and struts. It was cushy enough for daily driving with the dampeners set fairly soft, but they can be stiffened up in about 2 minutes with no tools, and the car corners very well on them.

http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-strut-94.html
http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-shock-94.html

have to take wheels off to adjust them?

one thing i liked about bilsteins was that they auto adjust and i dont have to ever mess with them and they are lifetime warranty too
Old 12-19-2012, 07:24 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

For everyday street driving, bilsteins are where its at. Scooter3, on this forum has them with H&R SS's which is one of the lowest drops you can get. His car rides really nice still.

I have the tokico D-specs, the ride is nice, and they are adjustable for the track which was important to me.

Spend the money and do it once is all I can say. Dont end up going to autozone, or bottom of the line shocks.. you will hate them, and not enjoy the car.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:17 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

I got my eye on the BTS B12 kit from Bilstein. So everything fits, springs and shocks/struts.
Just a matter if when, and if I want to tackle it. Never done it before.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:03 AM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtb727
For everyday street driving, bilsteins are where its at. Scooter3, on this forum has them with H&R SS's which is one of the lowest drops you can get. His car rides really nice still.

I have the tokico D-specs, the ride is nice, and they are adjustable for the track which was important to me.

Spend the money and do it once is all I can say. Dont end up going to autozone, or bottom of the line shocks.. you will hate them, and not enjoy the car.
i wouldnt go to autozone or somewhere like that. know that is stupid lol get good deals at dealer on performance parts. tire rack has like anything! yeah i dont need the adjustabe stuff

Originally Posted by Seabee1993
I got my eye on the BTS B12 kit from Bilstein. So everything fits, springs and shocks/struts.
Just a matter if when, and if I want to tackle it. Never done it before.

thats a coil over setup right?
Old 12-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

i wouldnt go to autozone or somewhere like that. know that is stupid lol get good deals at dealer on performance parts. tire rack has like anything! yeah i dont need the adjustabe stuff

thats a coil over setup right?
They still look like struts in the picture, I just like the idea of having it in a kit, rather than piece and part it, then have fitment issues when it's time to put it in. If anyone knows better than me, and this kit is trash let me know.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:43 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

have to take wheels off to adjust them?
There are no tools required to adjust the Strange 10-ways. You just pull over, reach down, adjust, drive away!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:49 PM
caaraa
2nd Gear Member

thanks dude. I have Everrit now

Quick Reply: Best riding shocks/struts for lowered 02 gt vert?