4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Anyone have longtube headers in CALI an how do you pass smog

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member

Default Anyone have longtube headers in CALI an how do you pass smog

I saw an awesome deal for SLP longtubes with matching x pipe and o2 sensors. I want it really bad but I don't want to get screwed come time to smog the car. Does anyone run longtubes in Cali and if so how do you get away with it?
Old 01-08-2013, 02:28 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cali_Swag
I saw an awesome deal for SLP longtubes with matching x pipe and o2 sensors. I want it really bad but I don't want to get screwed come time to smog the car. Does anyone run longtubes in Cali and if so how do you get away with it?
Cali is the same as here in NY. you wont pass with longtubes. Its bull i know cause i want them too, but we cant do it.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

As of right now there are no compaines that make Long Tube heards that are legal in california. You can put them on but will have to take them off when you go to smog, or you have to find a shop that will take a bribe.

Matthew
Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 PM
nextlevelinnovations

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
Cali is the same as here in NY. you wont pass with longtubes. Its bull i know cause i want them too, but we cant do it.
What part of NY? I'm in Dutchess county and all they do is scan the computer on my cars. I have never seen them sniff test the exhaust but i'm sre the second I put LT's on my Saleen they will start!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:00 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nextlevelinnovations
What part of NY? I'm in Dutchess county and all they do is scan the computer on my cars. I have never seen them sniff test the exhaust but i'm sre the second I put LT's on my Saleen they will start!
Buffalo. Erie county. they sniff test here
Old 01-08-2013, 10:09 PM
scanderson62

i live in cali and have long tube headers, and high flow cats. if they visually inspect your screwed. i had a shop that knew i was running a new motor and s/c with a completely modified exhaust. so of course he didn't visually inspect. he ran it as it was and it was close but didnt pass, i went to my buddies shop around the corner and welded one of my stock cats and made sure that the guy put the sensor on the correct side and passed.(my cars vin indicates that i dont have a dual exhaust so he only put a sensor in one side)

so if you really want them, as well you should, you need to find a shop that will hook you up like that. you might need to pay a little more, or have a friend that the owner or tech knows and trusts.

these poor guys get slammed with bs state inspectors fining them and trying to screw them over

or you can just move out of cali like im planning on
Old 01-09-2013, 03:13 AM
Cali_Swag
1st Gear Member

I don't mind introducing a smog tech to Benny Frank because it's only every other year. I was just wondering if that works. How can you know they are willing to take a bribe? Just boldly ask them up front or know a guy that knows a guy? I don't know anyone in that area of work.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:49 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scanderson62
i live in cali and have long tube headers, and high flow cats. if they visually inspect your screwed. i had a shop that knew i was running a new motor and s/c with a completely modified exhaust. so of course he didn't visually inspect. he ran it as it was and it was close but didnt pass, i went to my buddies shop around the corner and welded one of my stock cats and made sure that the guy put the sensor on the correct side and passed.(my cars vin indicates that i dont have a dual exhaust so he only put a sensor in one side)
Where did you come up with that BS? there is nothing in the VIN that indicates single of dual exhaust
Old 01-10-2013, 09:03 AM
scanderson62

Thats whatever the computer pulled up when the dude plugged in his stuff bro
Old 01-12-2013, 02:59 AM
02GTowner
1st Gear Member

Short answer no. The whole bribe the guy thing is BS too. With the new STAR testing starting Jan 1 and the stricter they have become with emissions testing/certification it isn't worth a smog techs time or money to look the other way for a few hundred bucks. If caught they can face huge fines, loss of operating and business license and or closure. Your hundy ain't worth it to him.

Quick Reply: Anyone have longtube headers in CALI an how do you pass smog