4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

good books for working on my car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 01:32 PM
jjstandardz
1st Gear Member

Default good books for working on my car?

Does anybody know of a good book i could purchase that would instruct me on how to work on my car and maybe have pictures as well?

Stuff would mostly be maintenance

examples would include
-changing transmission fluid
-changing brake fluid
-changing coolant
-replacing fuel pump
-etc, etc

2002 mustang gt
Old 01-16-2013, 01:48 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

For simple stuff like that, you can likely get on youtube and watch videos. Otherwise, just get a haynes manual. Most of that stuff is pretty much self explanatory when you get out with some tools.

Transmission fluid is just a matter of opening the drain plug on a manual, then refilling by removing the shifter. If it's an auto, then you have to take the pan bolts off, drain the fluid, clean the magnet, get a new filter with gasket, pull the old filter off, put the new one on, clean the gasket mating surfaces, then bolt it all back down.

Brake fluid is slightly more complicated. You can crack the bleeder valves and gravity drain it, or you can buy a siphon. If you are careful, you should be able to drain it without bleeding, but if you get air in the lines, you will need an assistant to help bleed them.

Coolant is just cracking the drain valve on the radiator and letting the old stuff drain out, then refill it. If you want to flush it, you are going to have to disconnect a hose and use running water from a garden hose to clear the entire engine.

Fuel pump is the hardest thing to do, you have to drop the tank and be careful not to break the lines.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:56 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

WTF is a "book"
Most people get all their info online now. Even Parts stores have basic how to's on their website. Check out Autozone website I know they do for sure
Or check out Chilton Manuals but these also are online you can even check out the digital copies with your local Public Library if you have a Library card
Old 01-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

Cliffyk has manuals on disk. 15.00, I'm ordering mine as we speak.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:16 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Haynes & Chilton’s manuals are cliff-notes. They give a good overview, but don’t go into enough detail in my opinion. Pick up the factory service manual for your year/model ride and you won’t be disappointed. If your electronically minded, also pick up the electronics diagnostics manual too. You can pick them up through your local ford dealer or find a used one on ebay. FSM’s are the first purchase I make after buying a new car. They pay for themselves after the first oil change.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:18 AM
Duncaan

Where do we order them for 15$? I would like to order one myself!!!
Old 01-17-2013, 08:38 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Let me understand this you guys want to pay $ for info that is free at your local Public Library?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM
jjstandardz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
Let me understand this you guys want to pay $ for info that is free at your local Public Library?
They have factory service manuals at the library?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:04 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

FWIW I will no longer be offering the factory DVD service manual as it has turned into too much hassle and not worth what I end up with...
Old 01-17-2013, 10:19 PM
jjstandardz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
FWIW I will no longer be offering the factory DVD service manual as it has turned into too much hassle and not worth what I end up with...
oh thats lame.. i was about to send it to you.

I cant imagine how much of a hassle it is. all you have to do is give us your email and ship a DVD?

Quick Reply: good books for working on my car?