4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

proper procedure to park manual car

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 AM
NewEdgeStang00
2nd Gear Member

Default proper procedure to park manual car

I have always turned the car off while in neutral, with clutch pedal up. Then with ignition switch off press clutch pedal down, then set into first gear. Is this the proper way to do it?

Two other scenarios I'm questioning:
1. With car on should I leave clutch pedal down, stick in first, turn car off then release clutch pedal?

2. Car off in neutral, clutch pedal UP. And can I put the stick in first without using the clutch pedal when the car is completely off?

Online I have seen everyone posting mixed opinions on all different ways so I want to see what the guys driving mustangs do.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

I shut it off with my foot on the clutch, apply the e brake and let the clutch out leaving it in gear. I don't know that there is a wrong way to park a car. Someone once argued with me about the "strain" on the transmission leaving it engaged but if it can hold back a few hundred ft/lbs of torque I think it will be ok.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Cristoff
2nd Gear Member

You are overthinking things.

I have the clutch in while the car is in gear, pull the parking brake and shut the car off. The parking brake is what holds the car in place with the car being in gear as a back up to keep it from rolling in case the e brake fails for some reason.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:39 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Clutch in, transmission in 1st gear, kill car, clutch out, pull E brake. If I am at home where my driveway is flat, I don't pull the E brake at all.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:45 PM
jrp1588
2nd Gear Member

I never even thought about it. I don't see how it could hurt anything either way. For what it's worth, I have mine in 1st with the clutch in, pull e-brake, kill engine, then release clutch.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:47 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Neutral and ebrake is all I use.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:01 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I agree you are way over thinking a simple process. But I do think you need put the car in a gear never trust just the PB to hold your car in place. I personally put mine in R and than pull up the PB. Why I don't know that is just what I do
Old 01-19-2013, 10:11 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

I also have it in gear when parked most of the time. (and if not it's because I forgot).

Clutch pedal pushed, pull parking brake lever, turn off ignition, release clutch, exit vehicle.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:32 PM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

I park with the ebrake only when at my place but leave it in first if I'm on any type of slope. There was a time years ago when I was at a restaurant with a very steep parking lot and forgot to leave my car in gear. After sitting down I heard someone say there was a car in the busy street out in front of the restaurant, I looked out and there was my car sitting there in the middle of a busy 4 lane road. I sprinted out and drove it around back to park, then took the walk of shame back into the restaurant.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:04 AM
FlamingoGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NewEdgeStang00
I have always turned the car off while in neutral, with clutch pedal up. Then with ignition switch off press clutch pedal down, then set into first gear. Is this the proper way to do it?

Two other scenarios I'm questioning:
1. With car on should I leave clutch pedal down, stick in first, turn car off then release clutch pedal?

2. Car off in neutral, clutch pedal UP. And can I put the stick in first without using the clutch pedal when the car is completely off?

Online I have seen everyone posting mixed opinions on all different ways so I want to see what the guys driving mustangs do.
One question I didn't see any thoughts on was the second part of #2... With the car off, whether the clutch is in or out has no bearing on changing gears.

Unless you have a highly modified drivetrain (and maybe not even then, IDK), I don't really think it matters in what order you do the steps just so you end up with the engine turned off, the tranny in gear, and the e-brake applied. Personally, I turn the car off while in gear (and holding the clutch), then apply the e-brake and release the clutch about simultaneously.

Quick Reply: proper procedure to park manual car