4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rough Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:02 AM
gtp0083

Default Rough Acceleration

Some background information, I had My clutch, throw out and pilot bearings replaced about 6 months ago. Since then one of the bearings is making a chirping noise when the clutch pedal is out/engaged. I also just replaced a cracked intake manifold. Car has about 80k miles on it.

Symptoms. Car idles smooth and revs very smoothly in neutral. When accelerating at very low rpm for example 20mph in third/ fourth gear. The car accelerates almost likes its misfiring. It skips a little until its in higher rpm range. Once at normal RPM runs smooth again. Not sure if the clutch is slipping or maybe i screwed something up on the intake manifold install. NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT.... And the light works.

Very unhappy with clutch install. Ever since I had it done I have chatter in the transmission and vibration when accelerating out of first gear.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:20 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Plugs, COPS, fuel filter, just a few things to start with.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:06 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Sticking EGR valve will do that as well...
Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 PM
gtp0083

Guess I will look into these things. Driving home from work I realized that it hesitates a little, very little, when there is no load on the car. It is also getting worse by the day.

Any thoughts on using carb cleaner as a vacuum leak tester?. Or any better, cleaner ideas? I have some propane but couldn't find a valve of sorts to control its release around the engine.... Probably not safe.....
Old 01-31-2013, 07:35 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Maybe it is ignition related?

My car did a similar thing. At low rpms upon acceleration the car did not accelerate smoothly as if it had a misfire. Had the COPs replaced with the Motorcraft stuff and it drove just fine afterwards. This is for the 99 with about ~89k miles on it at that time (late last year)
Old 01-31-2013, 07:39 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by gtp0083
Guess I will look into these things. Driving home from work I realized that it hesitates a little, very little, when there is no load on the car. It is also getting worse by the day.

Any thoughts on using carb cleaner as a vacuum leak tester?. Or any better, cleaner ideas? I have some propane but couldn't find a valve of sorts to control its release around the engine.... Probably not safe.....
An unlit propane torch is better than spraying flammable liquid on a hot engine--the propane dissipates quickly and does not coat surfaces or puddle up as does a liquid...
Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 PM
gtp0083

Cliff I just read another post that you dealt with the same issue! Didn't find it the first time I searched it. I saw in that post that you were talking about arcing inside the cop boot. I do see signs of that in mine. White ashy type material. I guess my big concern here is that i just replaced the intake manifold and I screwed something up!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 PM
gtp0083

The other post was labeled "Hesitation under load". This person described the exact symptoms that my car has. Unfortunately I may have forgot about some of them as I only see the hesitation after a cold start up in the summer time.

I removed the hoses to the pcv but not sure how to get it off? There is some oil residue around it. Don't want to break it. Do you use some vise grips or something near the base to turn it the required 90deg to remove it? Or should it be doable by hand?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I have come to believe that the COP boots should be replaced at 100k miles.

You should be able to remove the PCV valve by hand, 1/4 turn anti-clockwise--howver after 10 years then rubber grommet hardens up and it can only be removed with brute force--which can break the grommet...
Old 01-31-2013, 08:53 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

When your intake manifold cracked, did coolant end up down near the plugs or on the COP boots? That's what happened to my car. The COP boots had some crud on them.

Quick Reply: Rough Acceleration