4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Twin turbo 98

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 05:08 PM
superhawk

Default Twin turbo 98

Okay so my plan is to build a twin turbo stang ment pretty much for the strip. My 98 GT already has a replaced 98 motor and a bad throwout bearing. My plan is to get almost everything i want for it by May 6th because that is a big race day at the drag strip for all my area highschools. As of right now i already ordered one of my turbos. Its a .50 AR. Its a knock off brand but i just need something to do for now and then i can swap in nicer ones later. I also have my 3" exhaust/intercooler tubing that i am going to use. Im welding up custom SS headers that will go to the front where my turbos are going to be mounted in front of each tire. The collectors are going to roughly sit where the battery is and where the airfilter is. Then i will have 3" alumized steel exhaust going down to my turbos and then into a 3-way intercooler. Here is my parts list as of right now. missing very little stuff like gauges and what not.

-victory Jr. Intake
- Trick Flow Plenum
-90mm billet throttle body
- electric dumpouts
-PI heads ported and polished
-Underdrive pulley set
-4:30 gears
-Sub frame connectors
-#60 injectors
-BBK intake spacers
-Throttle body spacer
-short throw shifter
-BOV
-Waste Gate
-Slicks

That is quite possibly going to be all that can be done with it with my time and money restraints. Im not going to run a whole hell of alot of boost but maybe around 14psi. i would like to put stage 2 or 3 cams in it but thats out of my budget for right now. Let me know what you guys think and any pointers.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Wouldn't be easier for someone in your situation to just by an on3 kit? It seldom works out for a 1st time builder to piece kits like this together on the cheap side. They usually end up spending more
And 4.30 gears with a turbo? Why?
BBK intake spacers
Old 02-05-2013, 09:27 PM
superhawk

yea but i like the task of doing everything myself. I know i am using cheeper parts but as things break or get worn out then ill end up replacing them with very nice parts. And im doing 4:30 gearing because its only going to be ment for the strip so i have nice takeoffs. And the BBK spacers will allow even more airflow over the intake which will work good with my fiberglass hood
Old 02-06-2013, 09:13 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

good luck with that. FYI things that work on Forza or Gran Turismo don't work in the real world
Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

i would just do it right the first time and save up so u can get better quality parts.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 AM
Dooney
1st Gear Member

I honestly don't see this working out well
Old 02-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Boosted cars like tall gears man, 4:30 is an aggressive N/A gear so you can get the car wound up quickly and to the next gear so you stay in the engines "sweet spot". With boost you want to stay in boost as long as possible. That means dragging out the gears and staying in a higher RPM range longer.

Phenolic intake spacers, which is what I assume you mean by BBK spacers are designed to make your intake runner longer which adds low RPM grunt. Once again it's for an N/A car. If you have boost you just want a large wide open shot into the cylinder since intake air velocity is not an issue at 15 PSI.

I just re-read what you said about the spacers. You want a taller intake so more air blows over it...gotcha.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:39 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

When it comes to forced induction, you get what you pay for period, always remember that.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:29 PM
chevydillan
1st Gear Member

That's an ambitious plan for such a short amount of time. I really hope it works out for you, building your own turbo system for the first time is tough. Make sure you an on it taking longer and costing more than you do now. 4.30s are way to deep for your plans.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:14 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

A cheap turbo WILL fall apart and cost you the entire motor. Not worth it at all.

Your list looks like a pile of 'performance parts' that aren't going to work well together as a group. Instead of working on fabbing up stuff, I'd suggest reading a lot more on the technical end of boosting a 4.6L Mustang in the real world.

Quick Reply: Twin turbo 98