4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

misfire with water/carwash problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 PM
jjstandardz
1st Gear Member

Default misfire with water/carwash problem

So everytime i get a carwash now, or while driving in the rain or snow my car starts to misfire and idle a little funny. It always returns to normal after i let it sit and dry for a couple days.

do you think this is water getting into my intake or water getting inside my coil on plugs and into spark plug wells?

i havent had any motivation to change the air filter or look at the boots yet because it is currently like 5 degrees here.

should i buy some dielectric grease and check out the plug boots? or just replace them
Old 02-22-2013, 02:36 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by jjstandardz
So everytime i get a carwash now, or while driving in the rain or snow my car starts to misfire and idle a little funny. It always returns to normal after i let it sit and dry for a couple days.

do you think this is water getting into my intake or water getting inside my coil on plugs and into spark plug wells?

i havent had any motivation to change the air filter or look at the boots yet because it is currently like 5 degrees here.

should i buy some dielectric grease and check out the plug boots? or just replace them
Although I heard of water getting onto the coil on plugs and spark plug wells, it's only happened when cleaning the engine itself. Never head of it happening while just driving.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:11 PM
jjstandardz
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
Although I heard of water getting onto the coil on plugs and spark plug wells, it's only happened when cleaning the engine itself. Never head of it happening while just driving.
hmm ok, so its most likely a problem with my intake then?

maybe im missing the engine fender which protects it?

not quite sure what it looks like though
Old 02-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Do you have an aftermarket hood that would allow water in there to the COPs? I would pop them off to check to see if the boots are cracked. Also check for carbon tracking on the spark plug. When they get wet and arc to the head instead of the plug, the white insulator will usually have a little black streak.

Also yes you should always use dielectric grease.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:20 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by jjstandardz
hmm ok, so its most likely a problem with my intake then?

maybe im missing the engine fender which protects it?

not quite sure what it looks like though

No, I didn't write that. I wrote I've never seen or heard of rain water getting to the COPs or into the spark plug wells.

I haven't experienced any problem with rain water getting into the engine through the air filter, either. (I've been running a C&L intake since 2004 on my Mach 1. The Mach 1's shaker actually feeds air to the intake and i've never had water getting to the intake.

Have you ever washed your engine? I've seen several Mach 1s and Terminators that have had water in the spark plug wells after engine washings.

You need to take to COPS off and check for water and corrosion. You need to look into the spark plug wells and check for water. You need to connect one of those cast iron sprinkler heads (that shoots water vertically) to your garden hose and stick it under your car and water while your reving your engine. You need to check your and intake for moisture.

You should try to get your hands on a device that can read engine codes. Most tuners can do this - I have a Scangauge II that reads and resets codes. Your ECU has probably already thrown a code that will point you to your problem.

It's almost impossible to diagnose an electrical fault over the internet. electricity is invisible after all.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 02-23-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:35 AM
bizarre660
2nd Gear Member

ive had that problem with my maf. the way my intake is set up, its inside the passenger fender so its an easy spot for water to get sucked up. ive been towed once because the sensor got wet and when it dried the car was fine. that may not be the case for you, but it can happen.