4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Something's eating my serpentine belts...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 06:16 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

Default Something's eating my serpentine belts...

I replaced the main accessory belt after buying the car two months ago because it got chewed up by something on the pulley path. now the one that I've replaced it with has damage on the same side of the belt, and one whole rib is missing from it. I've looked at the pulleys briefly but I can't see what's causing it. It's somehow getting chewed up on the forward most edge of the belt, closest to the radiator. The last belt almost totally came apart, but luckily it was when I was a few blocks from my girlfriend's house and I just replaced it in her driveway in 5 minutes. This one's starting to do the same thing. I think a close inspection of every pulley is in order, maybe one was dinged when the moron before me took the engine out and put it back in.

Any ideas? The new belt has only lasted about two weeks... I'm afraid it'll come apart somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Would something like this happen from a sticking pulley or idler pulley that's going bad?
Old 10-03-2005, 07:09 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Something's eating my serpentine belts...

sounds like a good excuse to replace them with a UDP set from steeda
Old 10-03-2005, 07:36 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

mine has a slight problem on the back side of the belt and I am convinced that the idler pulley is weak. The weird part is that it all looks fine when the car is stationary, even when you hit the throttle but under load, I'm sure the shiz is moving.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:50 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

Does your tensioner move a lot when you rev the engine? Mine does... would that cause a problem? Like, would it allow the belt to flex enough to where the belt would rub on something on the outside edge like this?
Old 10-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FWP!

Does your tensioner move a lot when you rev the engine? Mine does... would that cause a problem? Like, would it allow the belt to flex enough to where the belt would rub on something on the outside edge like this?
If your pulley tensioner is wiggling or moving in and out in just the slightest amount it can roll you belt akwardly through your pulleys. That's probably why it is eating the outside rib. I just replaced my pulley tensioner about 3 -4 weeks ago. i wanan say it was about $50. My car wasn't eating belts, but the tensioner was walking in and out causing a horribly screeching sound and loosening my belt. Took about 10-15 mins to replace it. Look at all of your pulleys before you drop that 50 dollars down. Just yank off the belt and inspect each pulley. But, if you have a wobble in your pulley tensioner and don't fix it, it will stretch your belts and eventually break them...
Old 10-04-2005, 11:04 AM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

Thanks man I'll check that tensioner out a little closer. It just seemed curious how the tensioner would back way off when I rev the engine. Is it normal?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

No. The tensioner shouldn't move. That would be exactly why you rbelts are getting chewed up.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:54 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

You know that for a fact?

If so... well then dammit!
Old 10-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

The tensioner does just that, keeps tension on the belt so it won't walk on the pulleys.

It will move SLIGHTLY, but shouldn't move anymore than an 1/8 inch or something.....
Old 10-04-2005, 06:09 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

Yea I could get a quick vid on my digi cam after work of it, it moves a good 3/4" or more.

Quick Reply: Something's eating my serpentine belts...