Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 03 cobra vert
http://www.facebook.com/abylicki
Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
Default Vert guys, need help

so Ive got the interior out of my 99 right now waiting for my stereo and new carpet to come in. I have been looking at all the weather stripping on the top and there is a gap between the bottom of the rear of the top and the rear quarter window (pic below) I am trying to figure out if there is a piece of weather stripping that belongs here or if water is designed to drain through the car, I looked at 2 other verts up the street from me at a dealership and they both had the gap but it is at a place that rebuilds wrecked cars and all have high miles so who know what could of happened. I cant find any part numbers or pictures of any weather stripping from MPS or LMR that match but I would like to know for sure before I put the interior back together. If anyone has a pic they could snap for me I would appreciate it

This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!

03 mustang cobra vert
SLP LM2, catted H, CAI, Diablow tune, DRT rotors, hawk pads, SS lines, MM FLSFC metco idler, 3.10 pulley

2009 ford F350 CCSB Lariat 5.4 (DD)
Leveled, tinted, smoked cabs/markers, fisher mm2

99 Mustang GT vert 35th (SOLD)
02 Mustang 3.8 vert(SOLD)
mustangman02232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
99GTvert
is my username.

Vehicle: 1
well, its getting cold outside again...****in reached down to the 40s the other day.  almost can't wait for the snowy stuff............................almost i don't have a twitter account nor have i ever been to a twitter web page (update: i have), but if i ever did decide to take the plunge i will let you know by posting it in this awesome little box of text (update: not really)! i like tacos lol...though between crunchy tacos and soft tacos i cannot really say which one is better.  sometimes, the mess a crunchy taco leaves behind is a little annoying while the soft taco just doesn't have the same taste... cake is so much better than pie no, srsly.  **** pie. ****ing

Driver's side?
Old 05-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232

drivers side and passanger side both have that gap, I would imagine both sides would be the same?

03 mustang cobra vert
SLP LM2, catted H, CAI, Diablow tune, DRT rotors, hawk pads, SS lines, MM FLSFC metco idler, 3.10 pulley

Old 05-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
99GTvert
is my username.

Vehicle: 1
well, its getting cold outside again...****in reached down to the 40s the other day.  almost can't wait for the snowy stuff............................almost i don't have a twitter account nor have i ever been to a twitter web page (update: i have), but if i ever did decide to take the plunge i will let you know by posting it in this awesome little box of text (update: not really)! i like tacos lol...though between crunchy tacos and soft tacos i cannot really say which one is better.  sometimes, the mess a crunchy taco leaves behind is a little annoying while the soft taco just doesn't have the same taste... cake is so much better than pie no, srsly.  **** pie. ****ing

Click the image to open in full size.

first one is passenger side..the rest are driver's

its hard to see on the passenger side but it looks like i can literally look right into the car at the back, underneath the rear window..so its as if water would just run down into the car that way.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
My02convertible

Vehicle: 2002 Ford Mustang GT Convertible

There seems to be a rubber plug that goes in those gaps. Here are a couple pics of my Drivers and Passengers sides.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Auto 4:10's
K&N Typhon CAI
BBK 78 MM Intake and Throttle Body
Pypes O/R X-Pipe
MagnaFlow Catback W/ Magnapacks
My02convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Vertigo_GT
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004 GT Convertible

Wow! looks like us vert guys got each others back pretty good. By the time I put batteries in my Camera and uploaded my photos you got plenty already. Adding mine too. Like 99 GT Vert said, when I pull the top back from the stripping a little I can see down into the top storage area. I have not had any leaks or seen any sign of standing water or rust, except for a little seepage at the top of drivers window when I went through a high power car wash.

Last edited by Vertigo_GT; 05-12-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Vertigo_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

thanks for the pics everyone, looks like if I just replace where the two pieces meet it will atleast close the gap up on the top, looks like its just taken a beating and worn out in the 140k its been on the car

where would be the best place to get the replacement strip?

03 mustang cobra vert

Last edited by mustangman02232; 05-12-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
Vertigo_GT
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2004 GT Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman02232 View Post
thanks for the pics everyone, looks like if I just replace where the two pieces meet it will atleast close the gap up on the top, looks like its just taken a beating and worn out in the 140k its been on the car

where would be the best place to get the replacement strip?
Have you seen any signs of leaking?
From your pic it looks kind of like the "Plug" piece is still there (hard to tell from the low res pic) but the lower piece goes behind it instead of curving out and around like in 99GTverts 3rd and 4th pictures. Maybe try pulling it out from behind and see if you can shape it to divert water around the vertical piece? I couldn't find that bottom piece on the "interwebs", but if you need to replace it you could probably do it using material from the 2nd link below.

I found this at CJ Pony Parts that sounds like it might be the Top/Vertical piece you are looking for, but there are no pictures. I would call CJ's for more information though.

Mustang Ford Convertible Top Boot Molding Driver Side 1994-2004 $72.99. They do have the piece for both sides.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-conv...2004/p/CTBM3L/

There are some likeley candidates here for making what you need from universal Ford weatherstrip using 99GTverts's pictures as a guide.
http://www.topsdown.com/Weatherstrip...tible-c23.html

The descriptions of the various products say they can be used to replace components of the convertible weather stripping.

Last edited by Vertigo_GT; 05-12-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Vertigo_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Thanks im going to spray it down this week I dont think I have problems with rain but higher preasure of a hose when I wash her does let some in

03 mustang cobra vert

Old 05-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #10
dante2

Vehicle: 2001 Ford Mustang convertible

I have the same problem on my 01 except the rubber on both sides is gone. What piece is that and where to get it?

http://mustangforums.com/forum/attac...-960x1280-.jpg
dante2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:13 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement