4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Passing inspection with o/r h pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 02:31 PM
moncherou

if they measure the carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons like they do here in California, you will not pass w/o catalytic converters. Catalytic converters aren't a bad thing if you're old enough to know what life used to be w/o them in larger cities.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:54 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moncherou
if they measure the carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons like they do here in California, you will not pass w/o catalytic converters. Catalytic converters aren't a bad thing if you're old enough to know what life used to be w/o them in larger cities.
Here in Texas, they have the sniffer test, but only for cars that are older than 96. 96+ uses the computer test, takes about 5 minutes and as long as it only has two incomplete monitors, it's fine.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:02 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Gah, the forum ate my response...

It sounds like you would be well served to have an OBD II scanner that can do a readyness check. I know the SCT tuner can clear codes, but I don't know if it will show you readyness (haven't gotten mine yet). I know my OBD II adapter + Torque on my phone do. If the O2 sensors being disabled leave you not ready for the catalyst system, see how many not readies you can have in your state and pass. Assuming that's the only thing not ready and you get 1 or 2 not readies in your state, you should still pass. Of course if your state does a sniffer test like mentioned, you still wouldn't pass.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by moncherou
This, depends on the state.

If they do a sniff test, even if your ECU system shows ready, but the measured gases are out of spec, you'll fail. If they do a visual inspection and notice the cats are non existent, you'll fail.

AZ for example only does snif tests on vehicles with either OBDI or no OBD system. 96ish + for the rest they just plug a OBDII scanner to check for codes and complete readiness.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:54 PM
built67
2nd Gear Member

thanks for all of the info guys! i have to see how many "not ready" statuses NY allows. We do not do a sniffer...just plug into the computer and a visual. Like i said im not worried about the visual.

So thinking more about it here is my analysis. I bought the car from a kid in NJ. He brought it to a ford dealership to get it looked at per my request b4 i bought it. The dealership ran a scan on it and turned the tune back to stock. When the kid got home...he uploaded the tune onto it again (predator tune). He DID NOT drive the car after that...and i week later i bought it...brought it back to NY...and it passed inspection. So now the question is...were the O2s off when it passed or not?

WHen i go into parameters to turn off the O2s...it doesn't show the current status (if they are currently on or off)...

So, when i get the H-Pipe...im going to install it with the MIL Eliminators, and re-upload the predator tune and technically I should be all good. I'll let you all know what happens!

My 67 coupe just has to pass safety inpection...I might put a 460 stroker in it and do long tubes to dumps...new cars are a PITA!!! haha
Old 06-08-2013, 10:33 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Also consider this, by having illegal mods on the car you are opening yourself up to get nailed on the street even if you sneak passed the inspection.

If you get pulled over for anything else, and the officer wants to nail you extra hard, not having cats is an easy ticket for them to write.

There is no performance gain from going to a catless set up in the first place.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by LilRoush
Also consider this, by having illegal mods on the car you are opening yourself up to get nailed on the street even if you sneak passed the inspection.

If you get pulled over for anything else, and the officer wants to nail you extra hard, not having cats is an easy ticket for them to write.

There is no performance gain from going to a catless set up in the first place.

You're right about that. In California, LEOs give modded cars and extra close look. They know to look for the required E.O. Numbers on aftermarket parts.

A few years ago, they cracked down on on ricer street racers by going after illegal modifications. At least one car with a Japanese Domestic Market engine was seized and crushed.

Lil' Roush - Why did you change you signature picture? The last one was really well done.