4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Steering rack replacement, AGR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 11:41 AM
needmorespeed
1st Gear Member

Default Steering rack replacement, AGR?

So my steering rack needs to be replaced, leaking at both end and a hole courtesy of a rock somewhere. I want to upgrade to a quicker ratio(less turns lock to lock) with more feel but I am having a little trouble sourcing a power steering rack.

I would like to avoid a rack from autozone but if it comes down to that.....

What I have found so far is AGR has a 15:1 power steering rack with different valving but their quality is suspect. Anyone else have experience with them?

00 Cobra R's have the best feel but hard to source. Terminators are next in line but with remans it doesn't appear that you are getting what you paid for, i.e. just a rack with cobra internals with no way to verify those internals are correct.

I doubt I could find a terminator rack in a pick n' pull around here to have it rebuilt. I know Flaming River makes a quicker manual rack but I don't know if I want to go that route, may sell the car once the 2015 comes out.

Also, since I will be doing this myself, any tips and tricks? I have seen a few threads about the install but I would appreciate any info from a fresh set of eyes.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2013, 02:51 PM
supersnake67
2nd Gear Member

Can't help much on the ratios , but take it from me that the duralast racks from autozone are horrible. I had 3 remaned racks from them and they all kept blowing out the left inner tie rod seal. Finally on my 4th one and it's holding up. Lady there said I'm not the only one with issues. Removing the rack is straight forward only pain is removing the lines and restarting them when you install the new rack. Make sure to install the new teflon o ring for the lines. And count the threads to the jam nut so when you put the new rack on the alignment wont be too far out.