Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Sponsored by Cruizin Concepts

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 10-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
goalieart

Vehicle: 1999, GT
Default Shifter suck in Reverse

I am in need of some help. My car drives fine but currently it will only go in reverse.

The other day tried to make a U turn on a narrow street, street was too narrow, so before i touched the curb, I stopped, put the car in reverse to line up with the street, then went to go into first gear to get going where i needed...problem is that the shifter would not come out of reverse.

I was not in a hurry, I didn't force it into reverse, I didn't hear or feel anything unusual...it is just stuck.

The clutch is fine I can feel the clutch allowing it to come out, but something is holding it in reverse in the transmission.

Any ideas as to what it is or how i can fix this with out spending a small fortune?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
goalieart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
edwin108
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2010 GT
shlbygt500 shlbygt500

Is it still stuck in reverse with the engine off?

2005 F150 STX SuperCab - Dark Shadow Grey - 4.6L 2V / 4X4 / 3.55
edwin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
goalieart

Yeah....engine on or engine off...doesn't matter. I press the clutch in and try to get it out of reverse and it will not come out at all
Old 10-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 08 GT Vert, 02 GT Vert

Sounds to me like a shifter issue. Does it drive ok in reverse....nothing feels wrong thereż
I wake up in the morning with nothing to do and by supper time, I have half of it done.

2008 GT Vert, stock
2000 Lightning, s/c, tuned, Basanni, built tranny
Previous Mustangs:4 - '66 Coupes(silver/blue/grey/red) '87 GT HO, '00/'02/'07 GT Vert(red)(grey)(black), '68 Coupe, '11 GT/CS
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
BMWiduch

Vehicle: 2003 Mustang GT

check your bearings and gears most likely one has stripped. If not, check your transmission connecting to the engine (pressure plate, make sure your clutch plate is fully intact)
BMWiduch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
cjhstang

Has this been resolved? Mine just did this when i parked at work...

1990 F-350 - P7100 Cummins swap - marine pistons/injectors, engine/chassis harness built from scratch, hamilton cam, ppump fuel mods, FASS lift pump, hx40, stud'd, Baumann trans controller, 4" exhaust and dual stacks, '92 interior, cab and bed swap, '86 front clip, 3" lift, soon to be 38" tires, every gauge autometer

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
cjhstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Thatsweetstang
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1996 Mustang GT

Wow never even that could happen, you'd think with the car off it would come out. If it was me I would assume something broke or slipped just a little to get something stuck and I would force the stick out. Just because our trans are cheap and luckily you can get another fairly cheap if you break it. But that's would I would do to my own car. I'm just gonna sit back and see what other people have to say to fix this problem
Thatsweetstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
goalieart

My buddy is a Ford tech, he says I most likely need a new tranny. Looking into it more. Can't afford a new tranny right now. Thank god I have a sport trac as well
Old 11-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #9
cjhstang

Got ya... I got lucky and was parked against a rock behind my tires. Was able to reverse and bounce off the rock and as I was moving forward played with the shifter and clutch. Finally got it out of reverse that way without breaking anything. Put it in reverse a few times afterwards and no problems... Weird...

1990 F-350 - P7100 Cummins swap - marine pistons/injectors, engine/chassis harness built from scratch, hamilton cam, ppump fuel mods, FASS lift pump, hx40, stud'd, Baumann trans controller, 4" exhaust and dual stacks, '92 interior, cab and bed swap, '86 front clip, 3" lift, soon to be 38" tires, every gauge autometer

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
cjhstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
Prpfire3

Vehicle: 2000 Mustang GT
Kyle medley

Sorry to tell ya it needs rebuilt my was doing the same i figured out that if i was to let out on clutch kinda quick and held pressure on shifter it would come out or hold pressure on shifter and go in rev and tap the gas it would come out but i just got myn outta trans shop yesterday for this reason of urs
Old 12-07-2013, 10:14 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
reverse but no forward, stuck in gears, transmission