4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Question regarding 4.6 3V vs 2V mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 11:31 PM
JCE

Default Question regarding 4.6 3V vs 2V mods

I know this isn't technically a Mustang question or topic but I am not getting any help on the other forums relating to the power train of the vehicle I'm interested in So I will seek out other forums with Modular V8 experience & knowledge.

A little background...

Last year I traded my '03 Mercury Mountaineer 4.6 2V with 3.73's that I loved to death for a new '13 Ford Focus (wife's request) and now after a year I really regret my decision. So I've put the "pants" on and put my foot down and I will be getting another Mercury Mountaineer 4.6 this year. But I'm torn between getting the 2003-2005 4.6 2V w/5R55 transmission vs the 2006-2010 4.6 3V w/6R (6R60/6R80). I do know I want AWD either way. I'll be doing several mods on the truck once I get it to increase acceleration but I need a little help deciding if getting a 3V is worth it over the 2V from a modding vs cost perspective. The 2V starts off with 239hp/275torque and the 3V starts off with 292hp in the Mountaineer. So is that extra 53hp going to make a big difference off the line or just higher RPM? I'm wanting to have the truck move as quickly off the line as possible to satisfy my heavy foot. I learned the 3.55 gearing for the '06-10 6R equipped models had a slight increase in acceleration vs the 3.73 gearing in the '02-05 with the 5R55. But the numbers are not out there for me to really make a solid determination on which transmission+gearing to go with so I'm going to focus on the numbers related to engine output.

The planned mods...

-CAI intake (probably K&N)
-3" Gibson exhaust
-Pulleys (worth it?)
-Throttle body (worth it?)
-ECU tune

I'm also open to any other mods that may improve either the 0-60 & 1/4 mi times and or the overall drive-ability.

The questions...

-How much different are the exhaust and intake manifolds between the Mustang GT and the Mountaineer/Aviator/Explorer?
-Would the Mustang GT manifolds fit the Mountaineer/Aviator/Explorer?
-What sorts of (crank) horsepower & torque gains would one expect from these mods on a 3V vs 2V?
-Would the 5R55 5-spd transmission be able to take the extra increase in torque safely and reliably?
-What is the torque rating on the 5R55? (275tq?)
-Lastly would 4.10 gears be a good investment and safe for the vehicle in terms of not tearing it up?

I greatly appreciate any information you guys can provide.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:55 AM
Lackey'sGT
1st Gear Member

I don't have any real answers for you but since no one else is saying anything. Id go for the 3V if you have the money also a good resource for a project like this would be brenspeed.com. I know they have done a few of these before. I'm pretty sure they use to own one that they worked on, they also do newer explores and f150s.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:18 PM
JCE

Originally Posted by Lackey'sGT
I don't have any real answers for you but since no one else is saying anything. Id go for the 3V if you have the money also a good resource for a project like this would be brenspeed.com. I know they have done a few of these before. I'm pretty sure they use to own one that they worked on, they also do newer explores and f150s.
Thank you for the reply. I've been to brenspeed's website and they definitely have some great stuff, especially the supercharger.

Hopefully I can get some information here on the questions I posted. Otherwise I'm at a loss on where to get these answers since the Explorer and Mercury forums are not proving any answers.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:28 PM
DillonInCO
1st Gear Member

Firstly, welcome...and if you haven't checked out explorerforum.com yet, I would ask around over there. But I bet they will all say something along the lines of what I'm about to say.

Here's my $.02. Having owned a 5.0 Explorer (which, while not the same engine, suffers from the same dilemma...keep reading to see what I mean), I would say this: If you're dead set on a Mountaineer, there's no question in my mind, go for a 3V and don't bother modding it unless you really have cash to blow. Reason being that there are not many bolt-on options for the Explorer / Mountaineer, or at least, none that will make a big difference.

The exhaust (including headers) is completely different than---and therefore incompatible with---Mustang exhaust. I would bet money that one of those Gibson catbacks would be for sound only, no noticeable power gains.

The 2V manifolds and internals are supposedly identical to the 99-04 GT, no performance gains there either.

Gears, haven't heard of anyone doing that, but I'd bet it wouldn't be cheap, and would kill gas mileage.

As for UDPs, probably not a good idea on a daily driver...I've seen mixed opinions, but enough that say they're not good for mod motors that I'm not buying any for my 2V Mustang.

Still, let's assume you get a 2V and do CAI, upper plenum and throttle body, and a tune...that's good for ~20 WHP max, maybe 5-10 WTQ. Now, I have no personal experience with doing that on an Explorer, but that's still not matching the factory 3V numbers. Then factor in the added fuel cost, since you have to run premium gas with a good tune, and the 3V is looking even better.

It's unfortunate, but Explorers were never meant to go fast, and there's just not enough of a demand to do anything about that. I think most people that buy them do so out of brand loyalty / prior Ford ownership. When my X was totaled, I test drove both the newer generations and ended up defecting to BMW. Current daily driver is a 3.0L X5 with a manual transmission, which does everything my Explorer did, except it's way more fun

Last edited by DillonInCO; 04-21-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:02 PM
JCE

Thank you kindly DillonInCO for the reply.

Originally Posted by DillonInCO
Firstly, welcome...and if you haven't checked out explorerforum.com yet, I would ask around over there. But I bet they will all say something along the lines of what I'm about to say.
Been there. They were able to answer questions but not of a technical/power train relation.

If you're dead set on a Mountaineer, there's no question in my mind, go for a 3V and don't bother modding it unless you really have cash to blow. Reason being that there are not many bolt-on options for the Explorer / Mountaineer, or at least, none that will make a big difference.
I am dead set on a Mountaineer, I really miss my '03. I'm ok with even minuscule improvement in performance, but I can tell you as a bonus the CAI and exhaust noise alone will be worth the price for me.

The exhaust (including headers) is completely different than---and therefore incompatible with---Mustang exhaust. I would bet money that one of those Gibson catbacks would be for sound only, no noticeable power gains.

The 2V manifolds and internals are supposedly identical to the 99-04 GT, no performance gains there either.
I assumed the Gibson catback would give maybe 3~5hp? That's ok with me, and even if there were no gains the sound that 3" Gibson exhaust has is epic! For the headers if those were changed out for performance headers would that along with the Gibson catback give any noticeable difference in grunt?

Gears, haven't heard of anyone doing that, but I'd bet it wouldn't be cheap, and would kill gas mileage.
Here's the great thing, I don't care about fuel economy! The F150 & Sport Trac guys do some gears so I don't think it wouldn't be too difficult, but, my main concerns are what acceleration difference would their be and if it wouldn't tear up the truck in terms of reliability.

As for UDPs, probably not a good idea on a daily driver...I've seen mixed opinions, but enough that say they're not good for mod motors that I'm not buying any for my 2V Mustang.
Any links or topics that I could read about the UDP's and modulars?

Still, let's assume you get a 2V and do CAI, upper plenum and throttle body, and a tune...that's good for ~20 WHP max, maybe 5-10 WTQ. Now, I have no personal experience with doing that on an Explorer, but that's still not matching the factory 3V numbers. Then factor in the added fuel cost, since you have to run premium gas with a good tune, and the 3V is looking even better.
Now this is a good point. I do have two questions, even if the horsepower / torque numbers are less would a mildly modified 2V run better and or rev better than a stock 3V? Also, what whose those numbers equate to for crank horsepower?

It's unfortunate, but Explorers were never meant to go fast, and there's just not enough of a demand to do anything about that. I think most people that buy them do so out of brand loyalty / prior Ford ownership. When my X was totaled, I test drove both the newer generations and ended up defecting to BMW. Current daily driver is a 3.0L X5 with a manual transmission, which does everything my Explorer did, except it's way more fun
I know the U1 and U2 platforms weren't meant to be hotrods but anything that has that lovely modular noise (my favorite V8) and can get to 60mph in just under 7 seconds is really the extent of my wishful thinking. And I think with AWD and those mods I am planning should get that easily. An AWD 3V Mountaineer is already half a second from that target already stock.

The only other trucks on my list are an SVT Lightning or supercharged Harley F150. But those probably will not be as reliable since their owners tend to drive the ever-living-sh** out of them. I'm also finding them too high of a mileage to be comfortable financing one. Otherwise I just might grab a VQ35 Maxima, Subbie WRX, or a G35 sedan. ...two of which can be reliable. I'll let you guess which two. Hah!
Old 04-21-2014, 09:50 PM
Weather Man
1st Gear Member

6R tranny is a lot better transmission.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:42 PM
DillonInCO
1st Gear Member

No problem! Catback woukd mayyyybe add a couple HP. Their website claims 3-5 HP, but they don't show any dyno charts, so I wouldn't expect much. There aren't any performance headers that you can buy; you'd have to have some made. Might as well go FI if you're spending that kind of dough. I would expect a modded 2V to at least FEEL more fun, so that's a good point. But I agree that the 6R is a better tranny. As for UDPs, I'm on my phone but I'll try to find some links later. If you google (or just search forums) for things like "mustang UDP reliability" or "4.6L UDP worth it" you should get some good results. There are mixed opinions for sure, lots of people say it's one of the best mods you can do for free power, but personally I'm not taking chances. Good luck in your search, let us know what you end up with!
Old 04-23-2014, 03:36 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Not knowing anything about Mountaineers my vote is for the 3v. Sounds like you will do some mods and the 3v WILL respond better than 2v's would. The gears will not kill your mpg, only your right foot. Being cheap at times can lead to regret, regret that you didn't spend the extra for more. Just my opinion.