4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need help..Questions on mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:18 PM
greg01gt

Default Need help..Questions on mods

I have recently purchased an 01 gt. High flow catted x pipe, slp LM2 catback, JLT cold air intake, BBk underdrive pulleys, Quick release clutch quadrant and cable, bama tuner, and 4:10gear. Has 90k miles on it. Only other high performance car I've owned was a formula firebird with a 350 and 408 build."dont hold that against me." This is a new and completely different beast.. and i love it....No headers, upgraded intake manifold, TB. Is a daily driver, would love any advice on what next, debating on nitrous, but dont want do dao any major damage to engine. Its my DD but i want it faster. Thanks
Old 04-25-2014, 11:26 PM
greg01gt

also have a 90mm Ford racing MAF.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:01 AM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

A 50 shot won't hurt at all. Or maybe a used Vortech kit.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:09 PM
greg01gt

I was considering both actually. was going to go with spray, for a fast cheap fix, but probably going to hold off and save up for supercharger. Not sure what headers to go with or if they will even be enough gain for the money.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:20 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by greg01gt
I have recently purchased an 01 gt. High flow catted x pipe, slp LM2 catback, JLT cold air intake, BBk underdrive pulleys, Quick release clutch quadrant and cable, bama tuner, and 4:10gear. Has 90k miles on it. Only other high performance car I've owned was a formula firebird with a 350 and 408 build."dont hold that against me." This is a new and completely different beast.. and i love it....No headers, upgraded intake manifold, TB. Is a daily driver, would love any advice on what next, debating on nitrous, but dont want do dao any major damage to engine. Its my DD but i want it faster. Thanks
Hey,

Congratulations on your new ride, it sounds it came with a nice build to get you started.

Like other have said a 50 shot of nitrous should not do much harm, but for the most reliable set up stick with a supercharger or bolt-ons.

If you didn't want to do headers, manifolds or TBs, my next best suggestion would be a driveshaft. A light weight driveshaft paired with the 4.10s will really get the car reving and making power quicker. This will translate into more power reaching the rear wheels and possibly several tenths off the quarter mile.

I hope this suggestion helps, and if you have any other questions, feel free to get in touch. Best of luck!

-Dan
Old 05-02-2014, 05:07 PM
needmorespeed
1st Gear Member

I would stay away from the bolt-ons if you want to pick up some hp for a quicker daily driver. The 2v doesn't respond well. I've got a full set of bolt ons and 3:73 gears made the biggest difference. You will quickly want more if you got the bolt-on route.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:28 PM
DeathRattle
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by greg01gt
I was considering both actually. was going to go with spray, for a fast cheap fix, but probably going to hold off and save up for supercharger. Not sure what headers to go with or if they will even be enough gain for the money.
Go with LT headers. The biggest issue will be fitment. Because they are a PITA to install. If your future plans are to have an engine installed, then your best bet would be to do the heavy mods (headers, aftermarket cams, ported heads) at that same time.

Originally Posted by needmorespeed
I would stay away from the bolt-ons if you want to pick up some hp for a quicker daily driver. The 2v doesn't respond well. I've got a full set of bolt ons and 3:73 gears made the biggest difference. You will quickly want more if you got the bolt-on route.
A full set of bolt-ons can drop half a second. My car stock was a 14.5 (03 Convertible auto GT). I did 4.10s, cai, Pypes catted X-pipe and cat-back, UDPs, electric water pump, PP intake manifold with upper plenum and 75mm TB, and a canned tune and my car ran 14.1 all day. And that was my first time out to the track in that car, 2nd time total in my life. A 5 speed hard top with the same mods probably could have done a mid to low 13. I agree that the 2V engine does not respond well to mods in comparison to other engines. But we do need all the help we can get to help it breathe better. Little stuff adds up.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:02 PM
greg01gt

I have heard horror stories about fitting headers, so not sure if i am going to go that route yet. Cams is going to be for sure, probably not anytime too soon though. Think next mod is going to be intake manifold and throttle body. Might be a bit longer than i hoped to get those, because i think i have an issue with my tranny. Just praying it isnt anything too serious. I would be heart broken if i had to leave her parked and wait to get it fixed. I have owned quite a few vehicles, and none have ever been half as enjoyable as this one.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:03 PM
greg01gt

Also, thank yall for all the help and advice, i greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:22 PM
Gadgetech
2nd Gear Member

I'd be surprised if you have a serious tranny problem with only 90k miles, my car has over 194k trouble free tranny miles. I got my car from family so I know the history. I recently put 3.73 gears on mine and it's a nice improvement so I'm sure you love the 4.10s. I just got a SCT X4 to address the speedo calibration and those are the only two performance mods I currently have. Would love some cams and an exhaust but I need a new top first. Congrats on your ride!