4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

97 Mustang Gt Questions...(Loose steering issues)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 06:40 PM
B40dash8

Default 97 Mustang Gt Questions...(Loose steering issues)

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forums and need some help/advise. I just bought a 97 Gt convertible.. Its my first Mustang But I don't know much about them. It has a few problems. The biggest problem is the steering. The steering seems loose and sloppy. First I should mention that the car has 17in cobra R wheels. 245's in the front and 275's in the back.

The ball joints don't seem to have any play in them. I figured the rack was to blame so I put in a rebuilt rack and pinion so obviously it has new inner and outer tire rods installed today. I haven't got an alignment yet because we got it pretty close to driving straight by eye. Anyway..After the rack was installed the steering still feels like Crap. Feels squirly and sloppy and loose still. I don't know if its the wide tires or what?? Could it be the rag Bushing on the shaft? Its not cracked or split or anything...Do these things wear out and make the steering wheel feel like tissue paper and loose? on some roads it feels like all 4 tires are flat... I mean that's the best way I can describe how it feels. I mean it just doesn't feel safe. Are these mustangs like that? Did they drive like that from the factory or does mine have a problem? Please any help will be appreciated!!. Thank you!
Old 11-02-2014, 07:46 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Have someone turn the wheel and watch the rag joint. If there is slop in there youll spot it right away. But its not something that readily wears out on them.

If the alignment is way off though it can make the car feel really unsafe. Even if you did set the toe in and got it driving in a straight line, that doesn't mean it is correct. Will it pull itself into a straight line when you turn the wheels then let go? If not its a good indication that the toe is way way off. Id take it to an alignment shop if there is a major problem they will find it.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:52 PM
B40dash8

I put in new struts today so I will get the alignment tomorrow. There isn't any slop at the rag joint from what I can see. I just don't understand how the steering is extremely sensitive when just moving the slightest movement of the steering wheel. I never have felt a vehicle's steering wheel feel like this. Do other mustangs of this year feel very sensitive when turning the steering wheel? Its like I can blow on the steering wheel and it will move. Ill update this after the alignment is done.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:41 PM
B40dash8

I got the alignment yesterday and drove the car around for awhile. The steering is still really sensitive. I don't know what else it could be besides maybe the wide tires in the front? For an example I was pulling up to a toll lane took my hands off the wheel to grab some money and went over a groove in the road and the car went directly towards the groove. It almost feels like its to unsafe to drive. Does anyone have any suggestions or are other mustangs like this??
Old 11-10-2014, 07:13 PM
B40dash8

Stopped and talked someone who had a 96 gt today and he said his steering is tight. I grabbed my steering wheel and said its very loose. (I can move the steering wheels inches side to side when the car isn't moving. PLease of anyone has any ideas or opinions on what it can be please help. This problem is going to make me sell the car and I don't really want to give it up yet.

Could it have something to do with the steering shaft or rag joint? That's the only thing left to do on it...
Old 11-10-2014, 07:15 PM
B40dash8

(*He Grabbed my steering wheel) Sorry for the typos.. Cant find the edit button lol
Old 11-14-2014, 12:47 PM
B40dash8

An update...I have a video of this slop..

Old 11-14-2014, 01:12 PM
VTX1800N1
2nd Gear Member

If you have a new steering rack, then the play in the steering can only come from a couple other sources:

Inner or outer tire rods (sounds like you replaced these already)

Steering rack bushings worn or loose (did you reuse the old bushings with the new rack?)

Ball joints (they would have to be really bad)

Wheel bearings (again, they would have to be really bad)

Bad steering shaft (have someone turn the wheel left and right while you look at the shaft and specifically the rag joint under the hood)

The bolt holding the steering wheel on is loose (remove the air bag and inspect this. It's only two bolts, one on each side of the steering wheel)

Sent from my XT1080 using IB AutoGroup

Last edited by VTX1800N1; 11-14-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:28 PM
B40dash8

Thanks for the response...
Brand new inner and outer tie rods.
No play in ball joints
Brand new moog rack bushings
Wheels bearings are good
I had someone turn the wheel when I was under the car looking at the shaft. The rag joint is not split or ripped. There wasn't any play between the knuckles on the shaft. Every little movement of the steering wheel went to the rack.
I have not taken the air bag out or did anything with the column. Is it possible that the steering wheels bolts can be loose like you say?
Old 11-14-2014, 06:46 PM
VTX1800N1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by B40dash8
Thanks for the response...
Brand new inner and outer tie rods.
No play in ball joints
Brand new moog rack bushings
Wheels bearings are good
I had someone turn the wheel when I was under the car looking at the shaft. The rag joint is not split or ripped. There wasn't any play between the knuckles on the shaft. Every little movement of the steering wheel went to the rack.
I have not taken the air bag out or did anything with the column. Is it possible that the steering wheels bolts can be loose like you say?
Well, not if every little movement of the steering wheel was reflected by movement in the steering shaft. Every movement of the steering shaft should also be accompanied by movement of the tie rods.

Sent from my XT1080 using IB AutoGroup

Quick Reply: 97 Mustang Gt Questions...(Loose steering issues)