4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Hmm.. decisions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 12:34 PM
MustangGT002

Default Hmm.. decisions

Hello everyone,

I own a 2002 Ford mustang GT. I'm in the process of purchasing a new catback exhaust system. I narrowed my selection to 3 catback exhaust systems. What one would be the best bang for my buck(quality and BEST sound, want it to be loud but not obnoxious)

1. Pypes- Violater
2. Flowmaster-American Thunder
3. Dynomax-Ultra Flo "welded"
Old 02-08-2015, 04:33 PM
TXMach
1st Gear Member

I can't comment on #1 or #3, but I do miss the sound of my '96 GT that had the American Thunder setup.

Flowmaster is an industry standard and trend setter in terms of build quality and sound. They've been around for a long time.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:25 PM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

As much as I'd love to help you out, we can't really tell you what exhaust to get. Everyone's taste is different.

In opposition to the comment above, I don't care for Flowmaster. Nothing against the company, their quality, or those who run them. They're just not my cup of tea. My car came with them and I replaced the catback.

I'm a straight through muffler kind of guy. But, with my long tubes and o/r H-pipe, pure straight through mufflers are "blatty". So I made my own mufflers. You can see my build thread for the mufflers in the Pipes, Boost, & Juice section under Homemade Mufflers. If you don't feel like reading it, here's one of the sets I made and what I am continuing to run:

As you can see, they are kind of a chambered/straight through hybrid.

Really though, the best thing you can do is watch videos to get an idea of what YOU like best. Then weigh cost vs. sound in YOUR opinion.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:53 PM
01S2Roush

Originally Posted by unitedwestang
As much as I'd love to help you out, we can't really tell you what exhaust to get. Everyone's taste is different.

In opposition to the comment above, I don't care for Flowmaster. Nothing against the company, their quality, or those who run them. They're just not my cup of tea. My car came with them and I replaced the catback.

I'm a straight through muffler kind of guy. But, with my long tubes and o/r H-pipe, pure straight through mufflers are "blatty". So I made my own mufflers. You can see my build thread for the mufflers in the Pipes, Boost, & Juice section under Homemade Mufflers. If you don't feel like reading it, here's one of the sets I made and what I am continuing to run:

Mustang GT with Homemade Hybrid Mufflers - YouTube

As you can see, they are kind of a chambered/straight through hybrid.

Really though, the best thing you can do is watch videos to get an idea of what YOU like best. Then weigh cost vs. sound in YOUR opinion.
Wow, very creative and it sounds killer!