4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rumbling sound from tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:42 PM
FootScoot

Default Rumbling sound from tires?

I'm new here, but not new to Mustang GT's as I have owned 3 now, a '68, a 91, and now an '04. Which I just bought today.

I have rumbling as I drive around which is more pronounced when the car is cold, as it warms up it sort of goes away. It has '05 up rims on it, so I'm guessing someone didn't install them in the positions they should have went back on. Radials take a set to go in one direction hence no cross rotation. I will probably be buying new tires in the future but the tires on it have very tread. I just don't want to mess these up.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:03 PM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

What tires are on the car? I had some BFGs that were terribly loud. They should have an arrow if they are directional.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:23 AM
FootScoot

They are Fuzion's. I know some tires are very noisy, then it hit me about 4 am this morning, I noticed yesterday that there is curb rash on the left rear rim. I figured if they have rash that rim should be on the right side. As soon as it gets light outside I'm going have to take another look. May be time to get the floor jacks out and do some swapping.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:50 AM
FootScoot

Went and checked the tires this morning and everything is good, tires all going the right direction according to the arrows on them. I did notice the tread isn't as good as I had thought, not much left until it gets to the wear bars. Looks like some new tires in the near future.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:00 AM
CPTCO
5th Gear Member

Must just be the tires then. It really is amazing how loud some of them can be. If you are still concerned,might want to check your wheel bearings, cv joints, etc.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:56 PM
FootScoot

It was in the low 80's today, and they hardly made a peep. The car itself is fairly quiet. It does need tires soon. I don't think I would want to drive it in the rain very fast, it's no fun when it hydroplanes.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:53 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

My Toyos on my srt8 are terrible loud. Great tires but loud from new. Like said above, some are just noisy and most tires get noisy as they wear down.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:32 PM
FootScoot

I went to some friends house for dinner today, farthest I've driven my car so far, around 10 miles from where I live. The tires made their normal noises until I got up to 45-50 mph. It was like they went nuts, so I slowed down to 35-40 and back to the normal noises. The U joints are good and tight so it isn't those. The tires don't make any noise until I get up around 30 mph, so they have got to go. They are made in China, go figure.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:11 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FootScoot
I went to some friends house for dinner today, farthest I've driven my car so far, around 10 miles from where I live. The tires made their normal noises until I got up to 45-50 mph. It was like they went nuts, so I slowed down to 35-40 and back to the normal noises. The U joints are good and tight so it isn't those. The tires don't make any noise until I get up around 30 mph, so they have got to go. They are made in China, go figure.
Hell ya, China lol, get yourself some good tires, remember one key, you get what you pay for
Old 05-26-2015, 06:17 AM
FootScoot

I personally would have never bought these tires, they were on it when I bought it. I'm tire shopping today.

Quick Reply: Rumbling sound from tires?