4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Intake manifold replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 02:45 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

You only get what you pay for, i dont care for the just like oem intake, if you are talking about the one on AM, but that's just me if your looking at the Ford Racing intake you have to consider the eldelbrock for $35.00 more.

Not sure why it would get more expensive, but then again i have never installed an Edelbrock on a 4.6l before.

Just my opinion.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:48 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

To make the intake work properly as stated before you will need to be FI and need to be pushing some considerable HP. You will also need a new TB (300 bucks) and fuel rails 350 (bucks). So you're talking about putting a 300 plus dollar intake on your car and having to spend another 600-700 bucks to get the most out of it (not counting labor). When dealing with fuel rails you will want the best hardware out there because if you go cheap and the fuel rails leak, well let's just say its a risk that I wouldn't take so that's another 50-75 bucks. I do understand what youre saying though but in this case OEM is the way to go.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Dokilar

believe me, if i were in a position to spend an extra $1000 to get the hardware to warrant a performance intake i would have most definitely bought one. however my current situation leaves me little room to purchase any upgrades at the moment so i went with the oem one from americanmuscle. i did consider the dorman simply because i found one on amazon (of all places lol) for $140 but i did some reading and it seems the consensus is fairly universal that the ports on the dorman are smaller and thus will actually yield in a power loss.

it came in yesterday by the way. everything looks good i just havent gotten around to messing with it. unfortunately itll probably be the weekend before i get to work on it

i was wondering if anyones had any success in using some jb weld or anything to fix their old one? i was looking at mine the other day after i got it off and the area where its cracked isnt all that big. i was just wondering if throwing some jb weld on it and throwing it in the garage in case (knock on wood) something happens to this one would work in a pinch.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:30 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dokilar
believe me, if i were in a position to spend an extra $1000 to get the hardware to warrant a performance intake i would have most definitely bought one. however my current situation leaves me little room to purchase any upgrades at the moment so i went with the oem one from americanmuscle. i did consider the dorman simply because i found one on amazon (of all places lol) for $140 but i did some reading and it seems the consensus is fairly universal that the ports on the dorman are smaller and thus will actually yield in a power loss.

it came in yesterday by the way. everything looks good i just havent gotten around to messing with it. unfortunately itll probably be the weekend before i get to work on it

i was wondering if anyones had any success in using some jb weld or anything to fix their old one? i was looking at mine the other day after i got it off and the area where its cracked isnt all that big. i was just wondering if throwing some jb weld on it and throwing it in the garage in case (knock on wood) something happens to this one would work in a pinch.
dont bother, the pressure forn the inside deflects the plastic and will most likely cause the epoxy to crack, that and for the money are you willing to risk an engine?
Old 10-08-2015, 02:34 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

I agree with jwogg going through heat cycles the intake is constantly expanding and contracting, better off to fix it right the first time and be done with it, the type of intake is just personal preference.

I didn’t realize you would have to go for new fuel rails and associated parts to make the EDDY work, so to your point I guess it could get expensive

Last edited by WJL; 10-08-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:13 PM
Drastang
2nd Gear Member

if you really wanted a Edelbrock, you could always order the MMR adapter and use stock throttle body and just have to buy fuel rails extra which they also sell at 1000hp.