4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Coolant questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 03:49 PM
Shiftyone

Default Coolant questions?

I had the shop I work at do a coolant flush to my 2002 Mustang GT. They used Motorcraft Premium Coolant ( green in color) shockingly they actually used distilled water ( most shops do not from what I hear. I thought it was supposed to have the yellow coolant in it. And they completely filled my reservoir. Did they use the wrong coolant? And should I remove some of the coolant seeing how they completely filled it? I am at work and I get out late, kinda nervous driving it home now. Will I be ok?
Old 10-26-2016, 06:01 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

You're fine, they used the right stuff. When using concentrated coolant (not the 50/50 premix stuff) distilled water is correct as well (and also what you want to use if you add water to your battery).
Old 10-26-2016, 07:57 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

+1^
Originally Posted by Shiftyone
And they completely filled my reservoir. ...should I remove some of the coolant seeing how they completely filled it?
"Completely", as in, they filled it past the fill line up to the bottom of the cap? I don't think it'll damage anything, but you might want to remove the excess anyway before it makes a big mess.

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 10-26-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:33 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

pro-tip: Distilled water is also what you want to use in your iron.

"Because this forum isn't just about cars. It's about life." - Dalai Lama
Old 10-27-2016, 08:59 AM
Shiftyone

Thanks everyone! I did remove some before I made my journey home, with no mess. I figured it would not hurt anything, was worried about making a mess everywhere. I know distilled water is supposed to be used but most shops just use tap water anyway.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:18 AM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

I wonder if the shop might have been too lazy to bleed the air out properly, and overfilled it in an attempt to compensate for coolant being drawn down into the system. Might want to check the level again after a heat cycle or two.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:07 PM
Shiftyone

They used a vacuum system to get all the air out. After driving it home and to the parts store for some fuel stabilizer and to top off the fuel tank it was at the same level it was when I took some out. Heat works great and everything seems to be perfect. They salted the roads around here for the flurries we got today so it is put up for the winter. Always a sad day when we have to put the toys away.