4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4 valve 4.6 and 2v 4.6 supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 07:31 PM
lizzy3212112

Smile 4 valve 4.6 and 2v 4.6 supercharger

Hello,

I have a 2001 GT with the stock 4.6L. I have a 4v 4.6L that I plan to put in my car eventually. It is out of a 95 Lincoln Mark VIII. I'm a college student and don't want to spend the money to swap engines while my stock one is still in great condition. So I am waiting on my engine swap, but I do want a supercharger. I am trying to find out if there is a centrifugal supercharger I can buy that would work on both engines? That way I can do a simpler mod for my car now, without the work of a swap, but would still be useful after the swap. Any suggestions? I would rather have a supercharger, but I will get a turbo if I cannot get a supercharger that would work with both engines.

Thank You!
Elizabeth
Old 12-04-2016, 12:59 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

The blower itself will work with either engine. The mounting bracket for the blower will be specific to 2V or 4V though, but come time for your engine swap that's a minimal expense.

Regarding your propsed engine swap, I guess it depends on your goals for the car and if you're really into the project or not, but personally I don't see much point in swapping a good running PI engine for a Mark8 engine. The Mark8 engine doesn't do very much that your 2V can't easily be made to do, and stock vs stock they perform fairly close to one another. Now, if you were talking about a later 4V out of a Mach1 or 03 Cobra which have the "C" cylinder heads that would be different.

If I had the money and a Mark8 engine sitting in my garage right now.... Put a blower on your current engine. Strip that Mark8 engine down, install forged everything in the bottom end and do a 2V top end (cams, worked heads). When you get that engine in, put a smaller pulley on the blower, get tuned and enjoy your newfound 500+ rwhp and losing 50lbs on the front end of the car due to the Mark8 block.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:57 AM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
Strip that Mark8 engine down, install forged everything in the bottom end and do a 2V top end (cams, worked heads). When you get that engine in, put a smaller pulley on the blower, get tuned and enjoy your newfound 500+ rwhp and losing 50lbs on the front end of the car due to the Mark8 block.
they sound ohhh so good when you put the right work in to them also

my buddy's car (similar setup to what you just described)..makes over 500 wheel currently
Old 12-07-2016, 10:45 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WhiteFoxGT
they sound ohhh so good when you put the right work in to them also

my buddy's car (similar setup to what you just described)..makes over 500 wheel currently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orz4240kosA
That car sounds like a fkn beast. Me want.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:51 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

If you already have the 4v engine then you already have the expensive part down. You'll need some 99 Cobra exhaust manifolds and probably have to get a tune and do a little wiring but by and large the hard part is buying a good engine.

I suggest doing the engine swap. You'll love how smooth the Mark VIII motor is and comparing the SOHC to the DOHC is like comparing the stone wheel to the radial tire.

Ok. It's not that big of a difference but it is dramatic and well worth the effort.