4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Purchasing 02 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 10:54 AM
Strongcorgi

Default Purchasing 02 mustang

Looked at an 02 silver GT a little while back. It had an eaton limslip on it with 373 gearing, a cold air intake, and flomasters. Should the aftermarket limslip worry me at all? The car was in good condition and pretty well taken care of, by that I mean there was a bit of undercarriage rust because of it being daily driven.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:27 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Could have an aftermarket differential just because the stock had the slipping clutch packs (maintenance thing) and they decided to go aftermarket...could be at the same time the 3.73's were installed, or it was a lightly used unit that was inexpensive. May also have the thicker 31 spline axles (stock are 28). How does it drive? How many miles? Is this going to be a DD?
Old 12-30-2016, 12:14 PM
Strongcorgi

It's got 68k and it drives great other than those mods it's completely stock, I would likely be driving it all year except the winter, someone else recommended I do a compression test just to clear up suspicion
Old 12-30-2016, 09:19 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

make sure you check out the botom of the car with a mirror, look for dripping fluids especially the rear since it has work done. Look for shotty maintenance and overall cleanliness. Also take a look at what intake manifold it has, the plastic ones like to crack at the coolant crossover. Look at the oil for shavings... normal stuff I wouldnt be too worried. My cobra had 4.10's and a auburn rear (diff) in it when I purchased the car used.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:33 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Given the time involved and the risk of damage,and not a huge amount of loot to be realized form the car,I wouldn't consent as a seller to have someone do a compression test.It's also a 14 year old car,and regardless of miles,it had some hard use if some one did those mods.It is,what it is.Old cars need repairs. I'd be concerned with what Michigan winter salty roads did on the underside.
Old 01-01-2017, 04:08 PM
Strongcorgi

Considering my uncle is a certified mechanic and can do a compression test In probably half an hour or less I highly doubt the owner would care, he would still be selling something for 6,000 dollars, and I see what you mean but you also have to consider that everyone who owns a mustang is going to do some beating on it, if the compression test shows a healthy motor we will be able to know the extent of beating it took, and it was probably 1 to 2 years it saw winters
Old 01-02-2017, 12:01 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Strongcorgi
Considering my uncle is a certified mechanic and can do a compression test In probably half an hour or less I highly doubt the owner would care, he would still be selling something for 6,000 dollars, and I see what you mean but you also have to consider that everyone who owns a mustang is going to do some beating on it, if the compression test shows a healthy motor we will be able to know the extent of beating it took, and it was probably 1 to 2 years it saw winters
I couldn't get one interested person from my recent Autotrader ad to look at my clean,rust free,never beaten,bone stock 04 GT vert with 81k,priced at $6000 and eventually 5500.Wrong time of the year to move a vert perhaps,but a vert should still bring a premium.Maybe a wash for the extra miles vs 2 years newer.I would think that a modified 02 coupe would be more of a $5000 car.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:32 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

Time of year isn't going to help you (try spring), and prices from MI vs NY might vary slightly.

If a seller agreed to a compression test and the results were very good then wouldn't that be a strong selling point? Can be a two way street though.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Strongcorgi

That was exactly my thinking @99gtvert but a guy I know and trust tells me I should skip this one so I'm gonna listen to him, @camster is it an auto, are you still selling it
Old 01-03-2017, 07:38 AM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Strongcorgi
That was exactly my thinking @99gtvert but a guy I know and trust tells me I should skip this one so I'm gonna listen to him, @camster is it an auto, are you still selling it
Mine has a manual trans.I'll probably offer it again in the spring.It's second and seasonal car for me,and was garaged until this winter when I put it under a car cover so that a newer car could occupy the garage.A decent GT vert seems like a car that should always be worth a minimum of 5k.