4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Stash away a new Ford mfg TOB?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 12:50 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

Default Stash away a new Ford mfg TOB?

Would this be a good idea for the long term? Would Ford stop producing these eventually? Thanks.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:02 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

I always like having spare parts. That said, I have been through 3 in my HHR SS in the last year. 2 were factory GM.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:22 PM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Good idea.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:10 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Not a bad idea because theyre not that expensive but maybe not necessary. I have the T45 and I havent considered doing that. If you want to gauge how long Ford will make the part, check out the older transmission parts and see if they're still in production. Do you think you will keep the car for a long time?
Old 02-13-2017, 10:10 PM
Camster
2nd Gear Member

I'm 64,so I don't know how much of a long time I have. ;-)
On the fence about keeping it for few more years or letting it go this spring.
Not like I'd be getting that much by selling it,no life changer for me,but I'm also probably content with just having my other car.
Probably overthinking it,but I like spares for lots of things.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:18 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

If you have an extra oem tob, may as well keep it around for the time being. Makes a nice paperwieght, you can throw it at somebody in a fit of rage, or if you hang onto the car then it saves you the money and hassle of buying another one someday.

There used to be a lot of talk on the forums about oem vs aftermarket tob's and how oem is superior in every way. I used the tob supplied with a Spec clutch kit and had no issues for 30 or 40K. Had to replace the clutch setup due to the Spec aluminum flywheel I had installed at the same time back in 2009 failing about a year ago. New clutch (Exedy 400) and Exedy lightweight flywheel.

Went ahead and bought an FRPP tob due to all of the "talk" over the years. Upon comparing it to the one supplied with the new clutch kit, they were EXACTLY the same. Same part # markings on the bearing, same "made in China" on the box. Only difference was one box said Exedy and the other one said Ford.

I suppose all it means is that Ford and Exedy get their bearings from the same supplier, but it does go a little way toward dispelling the "oem or gtfo" bearing talk.