4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mach 1 is better then a Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 11:36 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Mach 1 is better then a Cobra

Only the crank is forged, although the Mach 1 is great, for a couple grand more you can have a Cobra that'll handle 800hp, have the T56 that can handle it, unlike the 3650.

The rear-end is the only weak-link in the Cobra and it's not even a weak link on the same level as say, the 3650 transmission.

I've driven both cars a bunch of times, the Mach 1 felt like the same ride as my GT, just some more HP. Still that loose feeling car, the biggest difference I found in the Cobra was how extremely solid and tight it felt over my GT & Mach 1's I've driven.

Old 11-10-2005, 11:37 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gt96stang

BTW, I do beileve the machs came with a forged bottom end (the manual trans ones at least, people forget this difference) and cobras have 6 spd T-56 not -45.
I do not think so, I think only the crank was forged for them.
yup thats a big factor. the cobra has a full forged bottom end. needed for any kind of serious s/c or turbo setup. soo im still with the cobra. wish i could have one but the mach is still a beautifal car
Old 11-10-2005, 02:23 PM
jlauth
2nd Gear Member

in that pic he has of the mach that runs a 10.58 the mach has silver heads which i think is a swap from the black heads that are found on the navigator and the mach. this could be an easy paint strip but i dont think so.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:18 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

this argument is retarded. of course the cobra is a better performer. it's easier to swap a rear end than to dig into your fairly new motor to put forged internals in.
I think the mach looks cooler from the front, and the cobra is cooler looking from the rear.
I would get a cobra if I had to choose.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:48 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

doesn't the mach have the same shatty tranny as the 01-04 GT?
Old 11-10-2005, 04:10 PM
The Great Cornholio
I ♥ Acer

The same shatty Tremec 3650 5-speed. A stock Mach 1 is basically a GT with a performance upgrade package, albeit a significant upgrade.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

No, a stock GT had 16 valves back then, and a stock Mach1 has 32 with the added cold air intake from the shaker. The Cobra has the T-6 which a far superior tranny than the crappy 3650 on the Mach. I can blow away any stock Cobra for the first 1/8 th, but they will blow my doors off after that because of the torque advantage. So, from light to light, the Mach has the advantage.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:49 PM
steedastang96
1st Gear Member

well personally i love both cars, but you really cant say one is better then other because they both have the same potential dependant on how much u wanna spend, but yes the mach one has a better rear end for a reason, because the cobra is technically a out of the box road race car besides cobra R the open diff is for cornering... so you be the judge but im saying there both awsome lookings, there both good cars, and they both have there goods and bads, bascially what it boils down to is money.. and your style...
Old 11-10-2005, 06:26 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

i think they are both awesome cars. Of coarse the cobra is faster. The mach looks better imo. i love the shaker.I also get a lot of cobras stairing and reving at me.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:34 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

No, a stock GT had 16 valves back then, and a stock Mach1 has 32 with the added cold air intake from the shaker. The Cobra has the T-6 which a far superior tranny than the crappy 3650 on the Mach. I can blow away any stock Cobra for the first 1/8 th, but they will blow my doors off after that because of the torque advantage. So, from light to light, the Mach has the advantage.
The cobra has a T-56

The cobra is a better car IMO. I think a mach isn't THAT great apperance wise expect for the shaker. I mean, all it has is a grille delete, rims, brakes, chin spoiler, and black rear spoiler. Thats all thats different from a GT apperance wise. A cobra however is a whole different animal. The cobra has a 6 speed, better handling, better interior, better body kit, better engine (all forged) and can handle well into 700 RWHP range without touching the internals of the engine. So no, the mach is not better. Better then a GT, yes. Better then a cobra, maybe in your dreams. The only thing that would make the mach a better strip car is the solid rear axle, but even that can easily be swapped.

Quick Reply: Mach 1 is better then a Cobra