4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 06:25 PM
1stgear
2nd Gear Member

Default tranny problem

i know this might be in the wrong section.....but i also have 94 v6 as my daily driver....and ive had a problem with the tranny for almost two years now, and ive almost given up, but i'll check with you guys first......here it goes......alright it's a 94 v6 auto, and when the car is driven cold everything is fine, but when everything starts to warm up, especially the tranny, and gets hot, the tranny starts to slip, kinda like it goes into a neutral position for a second or two..........or three...and then catches back into gear, and it will do this repeatedly every minute or so until the car actually is off and has time to cool down for a few hours......now it doesn't do it in any specific gear, or speed, or rpm (thats what makes it tough to find the problem). At an idle the rpm's will fluctuate up and down about couple hundred rpms or so, and sometimes comes close to stalling. i've tried exhaust wrap around my magnaflow x-pipe (which was custom bent to fit a v6, but bent to close to the tranny oil pan. i've also installed an external radiator oil cooler. i checked the tranny oil level and added or drained amounts if needed. i even bought a trans tune kit and changed the filter.........but none of these seemed to work! at this point i was very p***ed off....i dont want to run out and get a new tranny unless im almost one-hundred percent sure i need a new one(dont got that kind of cash, spending it on my 04 gt vert)....if u guys had took time read this, please help me out!!
Old 11-18-2005, 11:49 PM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: tranny problem

Don't blame your tranny just yet...although I would at first guess that your torque converter is the problem. Sounds like it is locking, unlocking on the highway, but that wouldn't explain your idle problem though. The IAC is a common problem, but sometimes a TPS will cause the similar symptoms. Combine the two problems you are having, the TPS is a very possible cause. Have you checked PCM for any codes?

A faulty TPS or harness will cause unusual tranny activity and idle/acceleration problems.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:43 PM
1stgear
2nd Gear Member

i really do think that the problem i have is related to heat........because when the engine is run cold for a little while its fine.....but then when temperatures pick up and get hot, thats when its starts slipping and s**t hits the fan
Old 11-20-2005, 02:55 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

well ford auto transmissions have always had a tendancy to suck ballz. i had a similar problem on my 89 mark 7.

is the tranny aodE or aod? i think it's aodE.

like i said i had a similar problem with the mark and it preceded the tranny needing to be rebuilt. seemed the clutches inside the tranny were going bad and the seals had hardened......but that car was much older......and the previous owner was an idiot.........when i first bought it there was no fluid in the tranny at all.

it seems to me that you'll probably need at least a partial rebuild.