4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What you think???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 11:38 AM
bryanec
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What you think???

Those alternators have an internal regulators, the red lead from the alt where it is soldered into the battery terminal sometimes corodes on the inside. And get the battery checked. One shorted cell will make the car die. Charge the battery and start it then unhook the battery and see what happens. The chances on it being the alt (new) are slim. If it still dies trace (and feel) the two wires and check them for any cuts or hard spots. Sometimes when all else fails take it to a shop. Elimination diagnostics can get expensive.
Old 11-20-2005, 07:52 PM
Stanghead96
2nd Gear Member

i dont no because it i did drive around for like 5 min with the everything being fine, if it was a shorted cell i dont think i would be to do that, right??????i hope its just the battery ,never heard of a battery cell having a short.

i will try starting it then removing the battery and if that dont work i will go back to parts store and either have them test it(dont no if they do) or get another one

good advice...thanks
Old 11-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Stanghead96
2nd Gear Member

the battery in the car has been there since i brought it and god knows how old it really was...this is the new idea....the battery was so dead that my alt was trying to charge it, but couldn't leaving me to slowly loose power and finally stall out.

has anyone hered of this before?
Can that be the reason for everything?

i replaced alt and battery ...every thing seems to be ok but still have to take it for a longer ride to make sure.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:38 AM
emath

Not sure if the problem is solved or not, but i had my alternator "go bad" on me, and come to find out it was a loose fuse. Before you spend any more money, look in your manual for the fuse that goes to the "generator", and check it. It may be blown, or loose for some reason.

I bought a new battery that night, not sure what the problem actually was. It got me home, but little else. Once I figured out it was the alternator, I was resigned to changing it out. A guy at work suggested to check my fuses, and connections first, then get the alternator if all else failed. I am glad I did.