4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

do i need new belt after pulley install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 02:17 AM
freeunit
2nd Gear Member

Default do i need new belt after pulley install?

Just wondering if i need a different size belt, because my belt is squiking aton. its to annoying to even drive. The belt looks like it is sleeping back on the tenchen pulley. so when it does that is squicks if you undersand what im saying what can i do to fix that.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:03 AM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: do i need new belt after pulley install?

You shouldn't have to have a different size belt. If its slipping back on the tension pulley something isnt aligned right . possibly the wrong water pump pulley. Thats all that I can think of at the moment.

Old 12-06-2005, 03:35 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

I needed a new belt after my pullies. It was sweaking just like yours. Thats the only thing that worked.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:08 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if you have quite a few miles on your car after the pulley.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

If you go through the hassle of taking the belt off, it's the perfect time to replace it anyways.

You must think this way when working on your car!!! Just like gears, gonna open up the rear anyways, makes no sense to NOT change the bearings...
Old 12-06-2005, 04:43 PM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

Yeah, mine needed to be replaced too. All it did was squeek. So I got a nice Gatorback belt and everthing was good then

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

I needed a new belt after my pullies. It was sweaking just like yours. Thats the only thing that worked.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:22 AM
freeunit
2nd Gear Member

so you think if i get a new belt maybe the size smaller thats what a guy said that always helps me because he said it looks a little loose. It should take the sqweek away. also is it hard to change the belt never done it?

thanks anything helps
Old 12-07-2005, 10:35 AM
Jewjenk
1st Gear Member

My installer tryed to sell me a new belt, but I only have 24000 miles on the car, stated that the belt could cost between 10 and 40 dollars, told him no, that the belt was on a low milage car and that the pulley's even out the need for a belt, so he installed the puley's and then the used belt....... Then exclaimed " wow it does fit" (won't go back to him again) anyway I measured the belt tensioner space before and after, there was no difference in measurements.

Unless the belt is worn or you want a new belt anyway, there is no need for a new belt, at least on a 2003 GT
Old 12-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: freeunit

so you think if i get a new belt maybe the size smaller thats what a guy said that always helps me because he said it looks a little loose. It should take the sqweek away. also is it hard to change the belt never done it?

thanks anything helps
you don't need a shorter belt. But, if it squeeked before you installed the pullies, you need to replace it. Get the same size belt. Also, you may need to replace your pulley tensioner. The rubber gasket on mine more down and the tensioner would wobble in an out (only a fraction of an inch) but it was just enough to make an annoying squeek and make the belt ride unevenly across my pullies.

To remove/replace the belt. Get a 1/2" drive and insert it into the square hole in the pulley tensioner. push it down. SLide the belt off, remove it. Replace it. and push the tensioner back do to slide the belt over the tensioner. It seriously takes about 2 mins.

To replace the Tensioner you'll need a 10mm socket to remove the tensioner and its 3-4 retaining bolts. It takes about 10-15 mins tops. See iof your tensioner will move back and forth (towards the front and rear of the car) If it does.... push it in while the car is running. If you squeek stops, you have located the problem.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Damn, you wouldn't spend 30 bucks on a new belt? How cheap are you guys?

Just replace the damn belt when you do the UDP's, the belt is already off and instead of replacing it 20,000 miles down the road, just do it now.

Quick Reply: do i need new belt after pulley install?