4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Body Shops Suck!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 10:47 PM
*Blk_96_Stang_GT*
4th Gear Member

Default Body Shops Suck!

My cars been at a body shop now for 12days and they told me last monday that it would be ready by this wednesday. Then on Friday we got a call and they said it would be ready by Friday. Today i went down to the shop to check on the car, and the guy told me they hadnt touched it. He told me it wouldnt be fixed until at least tuesday and that i wasnt getting a new paint job..they keep pushing back the date and its making me MAD![:@]....sorry for the long story im just really mad.

O and does anyone know how easy it is for them to match up a 10 year old paint job, cause im thinking it wont look right.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:03 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Default RE: Body Shops Suck!

A good shop will be able to blend in the new paint with old and you will never know (body guys can tell, but the average person cannot). This of course all depends on the shop and skill of the painter.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:07 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

To match up the paint wont be hard. Its easy to match any color with the paint code that every car has. Black would be the best match because there is no mixing of any other colors unless it has metallacis in the paint. Which yours doesn`t. If the rest of the car that wasnt painted looks kinda dull, then give it a good polish/wax job and it should look great. Just dont wax the parts that were painted for at least 3 months. The paint needs to cure.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:08 PM
outlaw01GT
1st Gear Member

the ppl that work at body shops around me aren't the best group either...not to offend anyone who's a body man lol but when you take your car somewhere and you can here them redlining it out back from the shop lobby it tends to **** you off...not to mention a totaly different body shop stole my $80 sunglasses among other things pluss when I got in my truck it smelled like pot!!! I whent to the manager and demanded money for the stolen items and told him my truck wreaked of pot. I was more than pissed I was irate lol
Old 12-13-2005, 11:12 PM
outlaw01GT
1st Gear Member

they did a good job though and matched the paint on a 13 year old truck flawlessly you shouldn't have a problem w/ that but sometimes these shops are a pain to deal with
Old 12-13-2005, 11:51 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: sprostang

To match up the paint wont be hard. Its easy to match any color with the paint code that every car has. Black would be the best match because there is no mixing of any other colors unless it has metallacis in the paint. Which yours doesn`t. If the rest of the car that wasnt painted looks kinda dull, then give it a good polish/wax job and it should look great. Just dont wax the parts that were painted for at least 3 months. The paint needs to cure.
You can't just match up the paint code and go, older paint will have faded and thats why it needs to be blended. And yes even black can be different, I have mixed paint before and you would be shocked at how different one black can be from another, although generally black is the easiest to match/blend
Old 12-13-2005, 11:54 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Easiest to match and blend but it shows blemishes in the paint more than any other color!

With a good buff on the entire car after the paint, providing they are fairly decent, it'll be nearly impossible to find where the work was done.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:00 AM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

to say nothing of the fact that most good body shops have a computer eye thing that will scan the paint and then tell them how to mix it to match it exactly.

you'll never know the difference.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:28 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: nathansmith50

to say nothing of the fact that most good body shops have a computer eye thing that will scan the paint and then tell them how to mix it to match it exactly.

I have used those as well and they are not perfect, it all depends on where the reading is taken on the car. For example if you take a reading on the trunk, the paint won't match the sides perfectly. In the end the best thing is to have it blended by a good painter and then buffed and you won't ever know.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:19 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: nathansmith50

I have used those as well and they are not perfect, it all depends on where the reading is taken on the car. For example if you take a reading on the trunk, the paint won't match the sides perfectly. In the end the best thing is to have it blended by a good painter and then buffed and you won't ever know.
that is why those in the know take the reading from as near as they can to the spot that needs to be blended. you're right it's not perfect.....but it certainly helps......and even without it a good body shop will get it nearly perfect. my uncle owns a body shop and i had him do my old mustang which was a deep metallic blue(not sure of the actual color) and he got that so perfect that i couldn't tell even in direct sunlight.

Quick Reply: Body Shops Suck!