4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

MRT H-pipe, anyone tried one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 05:44 PM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: MRT H-pipe, anyone tried one?

Well, my friends and family think its very very loud, but im pretty much used to it. It's almost like this is stock sound, and not very loud, when in fact it is. At WOT, its hard to describe. Its loud, but not very rumbly i guess, kinda like a roar, not really a scream? Im gonna go work on those clips. O, and with the switch to O/R, I love how it sounds, but sometimes i just feel like having it really scream, but not everywhere i drive, so I'll probably stay with what I got. By the way, ninosport.com is a great site for exhaust.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:05 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

My Stang sounds better with the o/r setup w/my cams. I have heard the car both ways from the outside, because my dad took it for a few spins so that I may hear it. Without cams, the high flows sound better, but with the cams, the o/r setup is the win...hands down. It's just 'too' raw.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:42 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

MRT has some of the best quality from what I heard. But BASSANI ALL THE WAYYY God I cant stress enough how much i love that sound.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:49 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GSXRIntensity

I'd spend the money for the quality. I am all for MRT as opposed to Mac. I have a Bassani x-pipe with high flow cats BUT they x-pipe also came with cat eliminator pipes which I am currently using. I wanted the high-flow cats for emissions testing. Turns out, I passed without'em[8D]. As far as the sound is concerned. I think my car sounded much smoother and less raspy 'with' my cats [read: it sounded better], but I have grown to like that raw and raspy sound w/out my cats. it sounds MUCH better now with my cams that it did before. Plus, my Stang has a little more snap when I don't run those cats.
That's the thing though, I won't be doing any major mods to my motor. Basically just going to free up the exhaust for better sound. So going w/ the catted H will be good for me. Also about "My Stang has a little more snap when I don't run those cats" I honestly think that is just perception aka "butt dyno" talking. Doing the catback/midpipe really isn't a big power booster, maybe it frees up a couple horses tho., but the sound probably gives the illusion that you going faster. Just a thought.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:27 AM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

my friend had borla catback and mrt catted h on his mach 1 and it sounds amazing. really deep,
Old 11-19-2006, 12:36 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: antiv6

my friend had borla catback and mrt catted h on his mach 1 and it sounds amazing. really deep,
Get clipsss!!!!! Did he have the Stingers or what?
Old 11-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Jakes
2nd Gear Member

I've got the MRT catted H-pipe. I went with it for 2 resons. 1. I live in Michgan and wanted the stainless steel for longevitty. 2. I wanted cats to quite down the magnaflow cat back I was using. I am super please with the result. It gives me a nice quite rumble when driving around town but when I jump on it it screams. You won't be disappointed.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jakes

I've got the MRT catted H-pipe. I went with it for 2 resons. 1. I live in Michgan and wanted the stainless steel for longevitty. 2. I wanted cats to quite down the magnaflow cat back I was using. I am super please with the result. It gives me a nice quite rumble when driving around town but when I jump on it it screams. You won't be disappointed.
Wait.. the MRT H-pipe quieted down your Magnaflow catback? What midpipe were you running before?
Old 11-19-2006, 03:26 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jaybird79
Also about "My Stang has a little more snap when I don't run those cats" I honestly think that is just perception aka "butt dyno" talking. Doing the catback/midpipe really isn't a big power booster, maybe it frees up a couple horses tho., but the sound probably gives the illusion that you going faster. Just a thought.
Actually, according to the dyno at Sutton HP, I pulled 5rwhp more without the cats. Nothing major, but measurable nonetheless. Also, when I said the car had a bit more "snap" to it. I wasn't saying that it made the car faster per se; rather the car felt more responsive. Take it for what you want.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:44 PM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GSXRIntensity

ORIGINAL: Jaybird79
Also about "My Stang has a little more snap when I don't run those cats" I honestly think that is just perception aka "butt dyno" talking. Doing the catback/midpipe really isn't a big power booster, maybe it frees up a couple horses tho., but the sound probably gives the illusion that you going faster. Just a thought.
Actually, according to the dyno at Sutton HP, I pulled 5rwhp more without the cats. Nothing major, but measurable nonetheless. Also, when I said the car had a bit more "snap" to it. I wasn't saying that it made the car faster per se; rather the car felt more responsive. Take it for what you want.

Better throttle response?

Quick Reply: MRT H-pipe, anyone tried one?