4.6L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 4.6L (Modular) Mustangs built from 1996 to 2004.

MRT H-pipe, anyone tried one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Default MRT H-pipe, anyone tried one?

I've been just checking out different midpipes. I definately want to go with one that is stainless steel. I came across theMRT catted H-Pipe and I was wondering if anyone has this, and can tell me about the quality/sound? Seems like a solid midpipe, at least from what I can see.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:20 PM
MoKo_04GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: MRT H-pipe, anyone tried one?

looks good to me....but damn....500 bucks....fuuuuugggg that!! lol next week i will be ordering my o/r h-pipe for like $150 and that includes shipping!! granted it doesnt have cats....but it isnt $500 either!! lol oh...and...i dont know how those sound....i dont think i have ever heard any sound clips of them and i sure dont know of anyone with them...
Old 11-18-2006, 02:34 PM
djb1187
5th Gear Member

man just go o/r...no cats sounds sooooo much better. MRT and bassani are spose to be the best but honestly all pipes are the same except one will rust faster.
Old 11-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

The reason why it's so much is because it's stainless steel, I gotta stay with SS. Idk if o/r sounds SOOO much better, I've heard some amazing clips from guys with catted midpipes. The high flow cats can still make the car sound good. But, will be awhile before I can afford the pipes, but I was just wondering on MRT quality/sound.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:09 PM
GThopeful
4th Gear Member

I have no idea how they sound, but I see (in your sig) that you are going to go with Stingers. Very nice choice (I am a little bias). Let me know how it sounds when you get it all put together though. Ive been contimplating switching from my SLP catted X to a catted H. Can't make up my mind though.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GThopeful

I have no idea how they sound, but I see (in your sig) that you are going to go with Stingers. Very nice choice (I am a little bias). Let me know how it sounds when you get it all put together though. Ive been contimplating switching from my SLP catted X to a catted H. Can't make up my mind though.
Thanks... I have always loved Borla. I had them on 2 of my previous automobiles and the quality is unmatched. One complaint I've had though is that they are too quiet. However, with the "Stingers" they one of the loudest aftermarket exhausts for the 4.6 plus you get Borla quality. Too good to pass up, also those 4" rolled tips look very aggressive. I can't wait to get em.

My exhaust will already be very loud with just the Stingers, so getting a catted H-pipe is the better choice. I want to hear my exhaust rumble, but I don't want to attract every cop in a 10 mile radius. Also with the catted midpipe I'll have two high flow cats, won't have to worry about emissions tests, and no check engine lights.

Now I just need to come up with $1000 for the catback and midpipe! haha
Old 11-18-2006, 04:26 PM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

I'd spend the money for the quality. I am all for MRT as opposed to Mac. I have a Bassani x-pipe with high flow cats BUT they x-pipe also came with cat eliminator pipes which I am currently using. I wanted the high-flow cats for emissions testing. Turns out, I passed without'em[8D]. As far as the sound is concerned. I think my car sounded much smoother and less raspy 'with' my cats [read: it sounded better], but I have grown to like that raw and raspy sound w/out my cats. it sounds MUCH better now with my cams that it did before. Plus, my Stang has a little more snap when I don't run those cats.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GSXRIntensity

I'd spend the money for the quality. I am all for MRT as opposed to Mac. I have a Bassani x-pipe with high flow cats BUT they x-pipe also came with cat eliminator pipes which I am currently using. I wanted the high-flow cats for emissions testing. Turns out, I passed without'em[8D]. As far as the sound is concerned. I think my car sounded much smoother and less raspy 'with' my cats [read: it sounded better], but I have grown to like that raw and raspy sound w/out my cats. it sounds MUCH better now with my cams that it did before. Plus, my Stang has a little more snap when I don't run those cats.
I hear ya man., the nice thing is that MRT makes also an O/R H-pipe, if I do decide to go a more radical route. I like more of the deep rumble that is smoother. I'm sure I'd love the raw sound of an O/R pipe, but it may be a bit too much for everyday driving, especially if I want it quiet sometimes in the car. And as I mentioned earlier, I think by going with the Stingers catback, it should be plenty loud.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:55 PM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Alrighty, let me enlighten you, seeing that i have the midpipe and catback you are wanting to buy. Although it is a catted H, the midpipe is noticably louder than the stock one. Paired with the Stingers, I personally don't think any other midpipe could make it sound as deep as it does when idling. It has a very nice, deep, almost cam-worthy lumpiness at idle. When accelerating, from in car at least, its going to sound the best between 2400-3100ish RPMs. It's very deep and has great tone and volume. It's hard to describe the sound at other RPMs from in car. I haven't really had anyone else drive my car to hear it from everyone else's point of view, but from what friends have told me, you can hear my car coming. Ill try to make a vid today of it for you, but vids really wont do it justice. Ive been contemplating switching to O/R H, but it really comes down to a choice between great tone/volume, or very loud, loud, good idle, still kinda deep, and really dam loud. O, and for quality of product, its a great midpipe. O yeah, and after a couple weeks when everything is fully broken in, you'll probably notice a slight change in tone that is for the better. Hope that helps.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dsg04gt

Alrighty, let me enlighten you, seeing that i have the midpipe and catback you are wanting to buy. Although it is a catted H, the midpipe is noticably louder than the stock one. Paired with the Stingers, I personally don't think any other midpipe could make it sound as deep as it does when idling. It has a very nice, deep, almost cam-worthy lumpiness at idle. When accelerating, from in car at least, its going to sound the best between 2400-3100ish RPMs. It's very deep and has great tone and volume. It's hard to describe the sound at other RPMs from in car. I haven't really had anyone else drive my car to hear it from everyone else's point of view, but from what friends have told me, you can hear my car coming. Ill try to make a vid today of it for you, but vids really wont do it justice. Ive been contemplating switching to O/R H, but it really comes down to a choice between great tone/volume, or very loud, loud, good idle, still kinda deep, and really dam loud. O, and for quality of product, its a great midpipe. O yeah, and after a couple weeks when everything is fully broken in, you'll probably notice a slight change in tone that is for the better. Hope that helps.
Awesome! That's a great description of what I have to look forward too. How about at WOT? Does it really open up as far as sound goes, or is it pretty smooth no matter how much gas you give it? Also a video would be GREAT., one from inside and outside or whatever you can muster. I appreciate it. Also why do you want to go O/R, is it not loud enough for you as it is?

Quick Reply: MRT H-pipe, anyone tried one?